FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Views On Class D Amps?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by dvv dvv wrote:

@Analog Kid
Might be. It all depends on how it was originally done. By whom, which model?

Hello:

It is a Technics SA-DX940 5-channel receiver from the mid 1990s. I purchased it new in year 2000.
I only use it for 2-channel music listening though. I like to think of it as a cheap piece of trash but I have to be grateful for what I have, so I have to say it is adequate for a poor student like me, but I would like to have something much better.

dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 4:08pm
@Analog Kid
That's a reasonable piece of kit, nothing spectacular, but worth the money it cost when new. Probably one of the last decent Technics models made.

If memory serves, the so-called "class H" in fact uses switchable power supply rails. When listening at low levels, the power supply lines are low, conserving energy, reducing your power bill and producing less heat. When a tranisent comes along, it temporarily switches the supply rails to their high position, passes the transient and then falls back to its low position.

Again, if memory serves, this system was first used by the US graphic equalizer company, Soundcraftsmen, but I could be wrong. It was quite a fad in its day, but never really made big time.
dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 4:11pm
Graham, while you are technically quite right, I beg to be told of anyone, anywhere, anytime who has even seen, let alone heard, a true class B piece of audio gear. In real life, class B is an academic term, it doesn't really exist, it's class AB all the way.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 10:55am
Originally posted by dvv dvv wrote:

Graham, while you are technically quite right, I beg to be told of anyone, anywhere, anytime who has even seen, let alone heard, a true class B piece of audio gear. In real life, class B is an academic term, it doesn't really exist, it's class AB all the way.

I was just checking you were awake Clap

True class B would be a tad distorted Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 4:53pm
Ha!

Hauptgruppenobersturmbahnfeuhrer DVV iz ALVAYZ  avake! Und ve haff vays of making you speak up! Tongue

In true class B, the prize goes to the one with only 99% of switching distortion. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic