FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vinyl vs. CD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl vs. CD
    Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 10:03pm
There is a guy on the Steve Hoffman forum who claims that 16 bit / 44.1 kHz digital audio on a CD sounds better than "vinyls" (yes, he keeps saying "vinyls" instead of LPs or LP records or vinyl records or just records), and he even claims he has scientific evidence to prove it.

So what should I do, should I throw out my turntable??? He must be right since his opinion is probably gospel or the ultimate truth (or so he likes to think)
. Smile

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 7:56pm
I thought about replying to this but then thought that my dry sense of humour may offend the "guy" so I decided not to.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Charley Phogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charley Phogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 4:44pm
Maybe a day or t2o, or 3..... or more late, but think of analog as a continous smooth flowing wave form,which it is. Now think of digital as steps up to the peaks, and down to the  and valleys. Kinda obvious which would sound better. Outside o the fact that  nowdays they compress everything so much. 
Charley Phogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charley Phogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 4:45pm
Sheesh just now seen it was meant in jest Embarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 5:32pm
I recently bought Chris Rea's Blue Guitars box set of CDs. Still sealed £20.00. Good value for 11 CDs and 1 DVD!

Strangely, several CDs are recorded to sound like old scratchy vinyl, really wierd Confused

Adrian.
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I thought about replying to this but then thought that my dry sense of humour may offend the "guy" so I decided not to.

I have been following that guy's comments and recently came across the following amusing exchange of words on the other forum:

Some guy: "Analogue is superior."
The guy: "No, analogue is not superior."
Some guy: "Subjective."
The guy: "No, it is objective."

See, I told you, "the guy" has scientific evidence that digitalism is superior. Wink
Of course his "evidence" is actually his own twisted personal opinions that he shoves down everyone else's throat as if it was gospel. He presents everything he says as the ultimate truth and tries to invalidate the personal opinions of others by always delivering a nonsensical reply like "No, that's wrong", whenever someone states their own preferences. Don't you just love people like that? I bet he has scientific objective evidence that red is a better color than blue. He is the kind of idiot that if you were tell him "I think Pepsi tastes better than Coca-Cola", he would deliver the line: "No, that's wrong, Coca-Cola is better". There is no room for personal opinions and preferences in his "scientific objective" world.

Edited by Analog Kid - 21 Apr 2008 at 12:42am
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 1:38am
On this topic, the following article is well worth a read:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/christie/comparo/part4.html
I am tempted to philosophical rambling on the associated issues - but it all seems rather pointless - draw your own conclusions and be prepared to change them should subsequent experience bring them into question.
Suffice to say that IMO the underlying issues are very human and have little to do with the manifestation observed and reported above and even less to do with the topic.
It often seems that the more I learn the less I know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic