FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

cusat 50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
broomie900 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broomie900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cusat 50
    Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 10:53pm
Hi all , would you recommend using the cusat 50 interconnect between a pro-ject expression turntable and rotel amplifier , all help appreciated , thanks
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 11:42pm
It's not my place to recommend because it would be an obviously biased recommendation.

However, if you did decide on the Cusat50 then the length you'd need is 1.5 metres to obtain the correct total cartridge capacitive matching.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 9:06am
Hi Graham, what length of Cusat50 would I require for my 1042 in Tecnoarm ( early model without holes ) and Gyrodec? ( Into ERA Gold V ).

I would like to try one out.

Adrian. 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 11:40am
We usually deduct the capacitance of the wiring up to the point the new IC is connected, which usually means just the tone arm wiring, unless there is additional cables inside the deck?  If not then the "cartridge wires" run to the socket/s on the turntable or arm (you can tell I don't know this TT can't you...?).

This capacitance is usually around 25pf.

The entire wiring between the cartridge and a phono stage input needs to be 100pf or just less.

Take off the 25pf and you've got 75pf left for the IC.

The Cusat50 is 50pf per metre.

Thus 1.5 metres gives the 75pf needed.

This means you can run an MM on this deck and it's still matched properly. If you run a MC it doesn't matter all that much, but it's nice to have it right just in case you fitted an MM.

Hope I made sense? (I'm in the middle of shipping right now) Smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 12:21pm
I am confused, but it's my fault Confused

I'm thinking of Cusat50 from ERA Gold V to preamp !! Will this improve things?

Tut,tut - no knowledge of the Michell Gyrodec. Whatever next ? But it has quality cable fitted, and the Tecnoarm is a rewired Rega 250, so I am assuming cables from cartridge to ERA are OK ( gulp! ).

Hopefully I will be meeting up with Ian from Audio Salivation tomorrow to pick up a PSU and cable!

Adrian.
I wish I was satisfied with my Dansette!
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 11:23pm
Adrian,
I have had my Tecnoarm for around 18 months now without detecting any problems seeming to arise from the arm wiring.
IIRC my reading about this arm, its development was the last project of the late Mr Michell and the wiring is Deskadel which he found superior to the Icognito used by Origin Live and initially tried on the Tecnoarm.  But I do not recall reading whether it is shielded or not.
Perhaps an enquiry of Michell might be in order if that concerns you.
It certainly has the best cartridge clips I have used :D
Think you may have caught a case of "I wonder how much better it could sound if I ...."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic