FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audio Conversions Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Conversions Magazine
    Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 7:59pm
Not sure which forum for this, so I've bunged it here.

Anyone heard of this mag? I have a set of 16 issues which I re-discovered today whilst hunting through a cupboard looking for an alignment protractor.

It describes itself a "The magazine for the Hands-on enthusiast".  It appears to be a self-published mag, edited by David Carr and David Rusby with the articles written by manufacturers and designers and enthusiasts rather than journalists.

The list of authors includes one or two names I've heard of...

- Russ Andrews
- Graham Nalty
- Les  Sage
- Les Wolstehnolme
- Reg Williamson
- Peter Roberts
- Jim Read
- Eric Stubbes
- Ben Duncan
- John Widgery
- Andy Nehan
- David Foxon
- David Swann
- Garrot Bros.
- Richard Lord

Amongst others.

Interesting to see an article by Richard Lord about active bass controlled sub woofers that pre-dates the foundation of REL Acoustics.

When I have the time I'll have a read through, quite a lot of interesting articles although much of it goes over my head, sadly.

Published in South Yorkshire; maybe this group is not so far from Graham!

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 10:27pm
"Published in South Yorkshire; maybe this group is not so far from Graham!"

Only by about a million light years...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

"Published in South Yorkshire; maybe this group is not so far from Graham!"

Only by about a million light years...

Is that friendly rivalry, Graham? ;-)

I've only ever met one hifi designer face to face (Arthur K, the Pink Triangle, now funk firm designer) and he seemed a very nice, friendly chap when we chatted as he rebuilt my turntable for the umpteenth time (reliabilty was never Pink's strongpoint).  But in my mind's eye, I imagine that when designers meet there could be a big potential for ego clashes - you know, like two famous opera diva tantrums... Is that what it's like or are you all as amiable as Arthur seemed?

Anyway, I've read a couple of issues of the mag. It's all about how you can DIY  design or  upgrade  existing stuff  - including some classic gear like Radford amps and the like (and of course an excuse for the authors to blow a trumpet or two). Some good articles on earthing of power supplies and amps which I almost felt I understood whilst reading the article but - like a Richard Feynman book -  the understanding vanished as soon as the last page is reached.

...Talking of power supplies, I mentioned before that I have this Naim Flatcap. It has a number of output sockets and I'm only using one and as the thing produces 24v regulated outputs  it  sounds like it ought to be capable of powering the  solo.  Is there any  obvious reason why it would be a bad idea to give it a try?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic