FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Interesting turntable info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting turntable info
    Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 9:58am

Lot of interesting info.

Hope I'm not infringing copyright

Edited by ABPest - 17 Jun 2011 at 9:59am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 12:50pm
Excellent find Adrian!

Browsing the said site I came across a manual for my TD125. It had a very interesting page for those who report hum, so I copied the diagram and it's below...

Did you know I've been telling customers about this for years, but most of them ignore what I have to say and instead sell their Graham Slee stage, buy something else, get bored of it then buy another Graham Slee stage, and only then deal with the hum...

Keeps us in work though Hug

You can also get hum from mechanical coupling, for example: if you have a stud wall between your lounge and your kitchen, and a turntable shelf on one side, and a fridge touching the wall on the other (any position along the said wall), you will get hum every time the fridge comes on. Tongue

There are many other sources of hum - too many to mention here.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 8:45pm

We are lucky to have easy access to your advice. The more honest and musical the preamp is, the more a poor source will be exposed. Or the floorboards or wobbly sideboard it is sitting on!

Adding to Adrian's excellent point about magnetic induction I would add that tape recorders (and VCR's if anyone else still has one) and anything with a magnetic hard disk e.g. a Sky+ box will not benefit from being on top of hifi gear with a transformer in it. You may experience distortion or dropouts.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 9:16pm
And there are acoustic noises to consider when listening to music like central heating boilers and pumps, fans in computers, ticking clocks, and road/traffic noise.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic