FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRG II question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shamu144 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamu144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo SRG II question
    Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:37pm

Hi,

New member here, and hopefully, soon a new Solo SRG II owner. I am planning to purchase a Solo SRG II to drive my Beyer DT48A (and a pair of Fostex T50RP). However, the DT48A are a very difficult load for any amp, with 5 ohms impedance and 110dB/mw sensitivity.

The integrated amp in the Lavry DA11 certainly struggles with the DT48A, especially in high frequency range sounding way too harsh. Due to the internal amp low output impedance (close to zero), my understanding is that the 5ohms DT48A will drain lot's of current from the Lavry. Imagine a speaker with 0,5 ohms nominal impedance!! With the volume at 1 (1 out of 56 steps), it already sounds pretty loud. Fortunately, I can't detect any channel imbalance.

On the other side, my very humble Creek OBH11 connected to the variable output of the Lavry DA11 does a fantastic job at driving the DT48A, effortlessly, with absolutely no hint of harshness. I can easily push the little Creek to 12 oclock while attenuating the signal output from the Lavry (typically 30 out of 56 steps). But... the output impedance of the Creek is close to 200 ohms, higher than most solid states amps.

It got me thinking that maybe a higher output impedance would be more suited to drive the 5 ohms DT48A... The Solo SRG II does have a 120 ohms output impedance if I am not mistaken, and is still affordable compared to the Beyerdynamic A1, or Meier Symphony that have both high output impedance.

Question is: has anybody tried this pairing (Solo SRG II and DT48A) ? I guess not, because those headphones are very uncomun. Alternatively, have you tried out of the Solo SRG II very low impedance headphones with high sensitivity like some IEM of similar characteristics?

Thank you for all your possible inputs, just trying to make my mind.

PS: Is there something like a 30 days trial period with GSP amps

shamu144 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamu144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 11:01am
After exchanging some emails with Graham, there "might" be some limitations or incompatibility to pair the 5 ohms DT48A with the SRG II, due to some build-in network to reduce headphone cable distortion.

I am awaiting for his final inputs, but he believes the Solo UL could be a better match in this case, which admitedly, would make me very happy.

Just a little worried about the noise issue with sensitive cans. I believe the Denon D7000 have a 108dB/mw sensitivity. Anyone tried those with the Solo UL. I would like to know if at normal/moderate  listening volume (around 80-90dB) you can hear the hiss...

I know some have reported some light hiss from the Solo SRGII with highly sensitive IEM (UE11Pro, JH13Pro) at 120dB/mw, but that is a lot more sensitive than the 110dB/mw of the DT48A.

Thanks for your inputs,
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 10:19pm
I use my Denon D5000 and D2000 as well as a Grado RS-1 with the Solo SRGII and I do not hear any hiss. I listen at low volumes (avg of 67 dB).

I also use the Westone 2 and UE TripleFi 10 iems w/ no his either. Good luck.
Miguel
shamu144 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamu144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:12am
Thank you for your inputs Miguel.

That is great to hear, especially since both Westone 2 and UE Triplefi 10 have a higher sensitivity at 117dB/mw. If you turn up the volume a little higher (80 to 90dB) with those, is it still silent.

I ask because according to another head-fier (who posted in one of your review Thumbs%20Up), the SRGII can show some background noise but only with very sensitive IEM

The ES3X have a sensitivity of 124dB/mw, which is extremely high though.

On the other side, the Ultralinear is a little noiser than the SRGII... My take is that if you can't experience noise (or very faint) at higher volume with your IEM on the SRGII, then I shall not worry for the noise on the Ultralinear with my DT48A.

Thanks again,

Edited by Graham Slee - 04 Nov 2010 at 9:44pm
shamu144 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamu144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:42pm
Despite having sold the Ultralinear a few years ago I always kept in mind to eventually get myself a new Graham Slee amp ! The Solo UL was such a special amp that it really made a strong impression on me, allowing me to enjoy music like I never experienced it before. 

A few years later, I am now enjoying the little Voyager and oh dear... What punch and rythm does this little thing packs ! It drives the Audioquest NightOwl with aplomb. My system has since been downsized considerably but certainly not the enjoyment it can provide ! 

A huge thank you Graham for all your efforts and passion ! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic