FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

G'day To All...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
08Boss302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Boss302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G'day To All...
    Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:34pm
G'day to all members, I am pretty new to what better products in audio can provide but have been really enjoying my journey.
I hope my intro isn't too long and cumbersum or breaches any forum rules on mentioning competing brands.  Apoligies if this is the case.

In my researching the name Graham Slee kept popping up and it was quite difficult to find anything negative - which is remarkable and an absolute credit to the man and product given the world we live in and how easy it is to be negative and run away!

That eventually lead me to here.

My goal now is to purchase the best phono stage I can afford and/or purchase the best fit for my system.   I'd like to right off the bat thank Keith and Wyndham Audio for Aussie loaner program who yesterday (on a sunday) responded to my customer enquiry on the Accession - amazing customer service.  That unit is on loan for a while but I am going to take the Reflex M for a drive.  If I like what that does I am very confident I will like what the Accession does considering the reviews and experiences here are very clear on the differences or it might be that I am happy enough with the Reflex M?!

My vinyl rig comprises of
Music Hall MMF 9.1
Garrott Brothers FGS Optim Cart  (MI cart)
Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects
This is currently running via a Schiit Mani (which replaced a Vincent Pho8) into my Marantz SR6011. Speakers are KEF Q950.
I found the Schiit better in its representation than the Vincent in my room but I am sure others have differing experiences.

Anyway, I'd like to now step it a solid notch and look at phono stage further up the tree.  I had a list that was quite long but after plenty of research had narrowed that down.  I guess the usual suspects in this price range
  • Rega Aria (though i wonder if Rega synergy is going to be missed by my set up here)
  • Graham Slee Accession
  • Musical Fidelity mx-vnyl
  • Sutherland KC Vibe (recently recommended by the store that I bought my cart from)
The Fremer comparison had an AVM Inspiration P1.2 unit in there that to my ears also sounded quite nice in his file download comparison...

My taste in music is heavy metal - 80's thrash and 90's death metal but I also like hard rock and other styles of metal.  This i guess however forms the basis of 99% of what the phono stage is going to be working on
I find it hard when researching audio equipment as most people reference Classical or Jazz or Blues (which i dont mind either) but metal brings a totally different range of colours to the pallet and instrumentally a varying dynamic as things are always "busy".  There isnt a large volume of instrumentation such as an orchestral piece but the speed and attack of the 4 or 5 instruments is constant.  IME the FGS Optim cartridge works very well, its not overly analytical on my system and opens the soundstage nicely.  Now I'd like to mate that with a quality pre amp.

I am probably at the point now where I have the two or 3 in mind - that being the Accession, the KC Vibe and the Inspiration P1.2 and probably in this order too.  I am very much liking the idea of the Accession due to its function being aimed at MM/MI. I often have wondered what comprimise is being made when you have a multi tasking item as opposed to one that does one job only.  Something about that is very appealing to me.  That said, I am not an electrical or technical person so i have no foundation for my thoughts, they are simply that....thoughts.

Feel free to chime in with any opnions or experiences on the Accession and Reflex M on their fit in my system and music taste! 

I will most definatly also post my review (for want of a better term) after the Reflex M arrives.  This is an exciting thing for me and I am looking forward to it!!

cheers

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:52am
Hi Daniel, and welcome. Keith is fabulous and has been incredibly helpful in my search. I own the Reflex M and I’ve had the the Accession in my system at home, too. The difference between the two is subtle, but for me the Accession pulled ahead easily in two ways. Firstly, being able to use the adjustable EQ on my old records (which I assume your metal collection doesn’t require), and secondly when used directly into my power amp in a vinyl only system. Being able to use its volume control directly, and I suppose removing the pre-amp chain, gave my system imaging and resolution I’d not dreamt of previously. It was quite amazing.

In the end I opted for the Elevator EXP as I was moving over to MC, otherwise that’s where my money would’ve gone. I still love the Reflex M and I don’t crave an upgrade.

So, if you’re a vinyl only listener, the Accession is a no brainer in my experience. I’ve also experienced the Rega and Musical Fidelity stages you mention, and the Reflex presented a more open and energetic view of music.

Enjoy the audition!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:38am
Another welcome from me Daniel.

I'd echo everything Mick wrote. You can't go wrong with either a Reflex or an Accession!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
08Boss302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Boss302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:52am
Hi guys,
thank you!!
the Reflex M is on its way to me and hopefully I should see it in the next day or so. I am genuinely looking forward to it.  I'll follow Keith's instruction and turn it and leave it power up for a day or two then sit back and spin a few records.

Suprised is not really the appropriate word but i'll use it in this text that after few days of reading reviews and thread mining via google that there is little to no bad word or experiences with these phono preamps!  That truly speaks loud and clear to me.

Other products literally have not discussion or reviews on them at all  OR there is polarising views depending on there system and set up etc from good to bad.

I'll definately chime in as soon as it arrives and provide first impressions and then as a week or so goes by provide an update or two.

I said to my wife earlier how the meer fact that each experience and review I have read is great (on all models), Keiths service has been 1st class and the feedback on the forum has been warm that it kinda feels like my ears have made up their mind to like something before they hear it and my bank account is anticipating the imminent spend LOL

cheers
Dan

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:21pm
Thanks for joining us Dan in your investment and listening pleasure to come.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic