FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

FrugelHorn XL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 9:51pm
Just found someone who has done something very similar to what I propose.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?113498-New-Open-baffle-DIY/#16

*Just bought a second pair of 12PW and 7P, in preparation for some more open baffle experimentation.

Edited by Ash - 25 Oct 2015 at 5:19pm
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:34pm
Hi Backinblack, I'm resurrecting an old post here. Just building a pair of Frugal Horn XLs myself with Alpair 10.3M drivers. Just wondering about your running in experiences. From your earlier posts it seem like it's might be best just to leave the wadding in place until everything loosens up.

Are you even still using them 2 years on??
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:45pm
Hi Ernie,
Yes I'm still using and enjoying them. As I mentioned they do need plenty of time to break in, the recommended low level signal for ~100hrs is a good start, but careful increase of volume for the first 50 hrs or so in the cabinets is also beneficial in my view. After quite a few more 10s of hours they really begin to loosen up and the bass develops nicely. In my room I found that considerably less stuffing was needed than the design suggests in the throat below the driver. I should like to remove some of the stuffing behind the drive unit to see what happens, but as this means removing the driver and reaching down the taper I keep putting it off. If building again I would have a removable panel or top to enable easier tweaking of the stuffing.
Let us know how you get on.

Happy building
Ian

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:33am
Thanks Ian, I finished veneering the weekend in ash as I'd like to blacken them 70's style, should look good with the gold drivers. Can't wait to get them up and running now.

How've you found listening to a single driver compared to woofer/tweeter cross over combinations?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:14am
The imaging is somewhat better defined and more stable. The apparent width of the soundstage sometimes goes beyond the speakers physical location, but I think this is more to do with the quality of the source/recording and amplification than just the speakers. The Bass does take time to develop, it is not earth shaking but does go quite deep, this is the area where experimenting with location and stuffing will pay dividends.
They will go loud, but be gentle at first, it will be better in the long run.
Black Ash, that is very 70s and not something that would suit our light and minimalist decor, or so I'm told by SWMBO!

Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:55pm
Just finished the XLs, plugged 'em in and put some music on. They sound great, can't believe a kit can sound this good. Hell of a sound stage on them.

And they'll inprove as I run them in? Wow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm
Good to hear that you're pleased with them.
No doubt some extended listening sessions are to come, going back through those albums you haven't had out lately.

Happy Listening
Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic