FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

From tube phono pre to GS phono pre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:32pm
Welcome
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
taratarat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taratarat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:08pm
An update after a bit more experimenting...

I've methodically removed / replaced various cables, turned different components off and on and noted what happened. 

It appears that my issue is with my turntable rather than the pre-amp. When I remove the RCA cables and ground wire connecting the TT to the DS2 phono pre, the noise goes away. It also make a static 'pop' noise through my speakers when I take an LP off the turntable, which seems like a grounding issue (despite the TT being grounded to the phono pre!).   

I've contacted E.A.T. who make my turntable and will see what they have to say.  

Thanks again, and if/when I need a new phono pre, I'll certainly have my eye on a Graham Slee :)  
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:23pm
Welcome to the forum. Just because a ground wire is connected does not mean the turntable is properly grounded. The way to check for grounding continuity is to use a multimeter. There can be issues with turntable tonearm designs where something seems like it should be grounded but in actuality it is not. Ground loops can also occur in audio systems and those require troubleshooting.

Interference and noise from interference are complex issues and really need to be looked at on a case by case basis. As Graham has noted, such issues often occur when using LOMC carts but can also happen when using common MM carts. Too many sources of interference near the turntable, poorly shielded arms, poorly shielded cables, etc. can cause problems.

Re: the tube hybrid phono preamp, I've always thought those things were a bit of a gimmick. To me they exist mainly for marketing purposes because they give the fiddly audiophile types something extra to fiddle with (e.g. "tube rolling"). If you look at those circuits the tubes are not actually doing a whole lot. It's also possible they will be more susceptible to interference than a good 100% solid state design.

I would encourage you to try a GS phono when you can, but I would get your "system hygiene" re: grounding and interference sorted out first so you can properly judge the product.

FWIW I dealt with RFI in my system before I got my GS phono. No longer an issue now but when I made the decision to buy a new turntable a few years ago I made sure I set it up in such a way that interference would be mitigated. The turntable has a metal tonearm, the cables are properly shielded, and the phono preamp is sited away from the turntable and "smart" devices. I also do not use powerline internet adapters and have placed my wifi router as far away from the turntable as possible.

My 2 cents.

Edited by patientot - 15 May 2023 at 4:54pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic