FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Four Proprius connection?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I'm running my Proprius full up and sat 15" away from the right hand speaker. I have vinyl switched in right now and if I place my ear about 6" in front of the LS35A on axis I can just make out the hiss. The volume on the Majestic is not very high because I don't want loud today. If I switch to digital I can't hear any hiss. It could be my age??

To be honest I put my ear up close to my speakers at the end of my Shearne Audio amps I here a gentle hiss.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 6:39pm
A little hiss is inevitable with speaker amps due to the higher power domain, I guess. My observation with my Proprius was that I had to turn them both quite low, around 9 o'clock, for the speakers to be what I consider "dead quiet" and as I come from a dead quiet headphone background, this is something I prefer. I don't want to hear any trace of  hiss during pianissimo or soft solo instrument sections. It's nice to have total silence. It's fine as I can turn my Majestic dial right up without adding any hiss to the reproduction. It's more a question from me really of how I can possibly reduce hiss or keep it down and still be able to use more of my Proprius potential power.

If the only way to keep things dead dead dead quiet with the Proprius is to have a couple of pairs, I'm prepared to buy another pair after I acquire funds from my two K1000 sales.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Not sure.The hiss I'm describing isn't obnoxiously loud, even with Proprius dials turned up quite a way. My ears can just pick up subtle hiss when on-axis. Maybe my power supply was having a bad day a few days ago. The frequency of the hiss is mixed, I guess, but not particularly high pitched. Maybe I'm just being picky as I doubt your hearing is particularly worse than mine despite our difference in age. You're an attentive listener too. Maybe it's due to low driver impedance combined with high driver sensitivity. Want me to link you to the spec datasheets for the 12P and 12PW?

It'll be a combination of 90dB (ish) sensitivity drivers, silent room, on-axis listening (I tow in 15 degrees from the parallel), close proximity and younger hearing (or greater patience).

The noise is contributed by the balanced input stage which is before the volume control, so when you turn it down less gets through. I used to tell people that I'm a "speed merchant" which means I will always put slew rate before noise - that's stable slew-rate by the way. I'm also heavily into inverting stages which don't suffer common mode distortion, but require large input resistors and the larger the resistor value the more noise it will produce. I give the customer the choice between silence with boredom and a bit of hiss with euphoric music reproduction (I offer the latter).Wink

Sometimes "audiophile" gear and what I make emphasizes noise. Some people want the best of both worlds which unfortunately doesn't exist, so go on to prefer boredom (not meaning you Ash) and I often think I should sell a carving knife as an altenative purchase for people who prefer to cut off their nose to spite their enjoyment... Evil SmileWinkLOL

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:27pm
So I could use two pairs of Proprius at lower dial positions to achieve same listening level with an even quieter background.

Or...

What about using series fixed resistors to shift the impedance curve up? Could this reduce the hiss at the diaphragm surface or would it just simply shift the signal to noise ratio up and not solve anything?

I'm glad you chose to prioritise slew rate; doesn't this directly influence phase and timing? The difference between rhythm and no rhythm? I'll take working around a little bit of amp stage noise instead of a dull boring reproduction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic