FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

DAB tuners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DAB tuners
    Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 9:57pm
I'm so out of touch with radio that I only listen to Five Live at home, even in the car the music I listen to is just back ground noise and I only have that on if I forget to put a new CD in. Radio use to be a good source of new music for me but now it's record shops and sometime from this forum.  
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:41pm
Agreed, it is a live performance by the host DJ. John Peel's shows were brilliant.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

There is something 'live' about radio broadcasts but I wonder has internet radio i.e. streaming replaced it for many people?

Yes I do think streaming is more in use now a days but I was think more of the DJ picking the music, one reason for me not listening to radio is the adverts and news breaks. There use to be some good shows on the radio, like most of what John Peel did.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:20pm
There is something 'live' about radio broadcasts but I wonder has internet radio i.e. streaming replaced it for many people?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 7:57pm
On the way home today I got stuck in traffic and I thought if I had the radio on I may know why, this got me thinking about HiFi tuners and how many of us still listen to the radio, Now I say HiFi as I do listen to the radio at home (in the car) but not through my HiFi set up, that I gave up on many years ago when I had a Sony DAB tuner. We all here like music which is the reason why we spend a lot of money on our HiFi hobby or a better way of saying it, our passtime. I can't remember the last time I sat down and listen to music on the radio, I use to do it when I had the DAB tuner. Does anyone still listen to music through their HiFi set up whether that's through the air waves or internet radio? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 10:30am
I plumped for the Denon TU 1800 DAB ( with FM/AM ) and have to say I am impressed. Sound quality is good with the internal aerial. Really spoilt for choice now!

Adrian.
IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 11:42pm

Adrian

I have read about inefficient codec’s being adopted forcing a reduction in bit rates to accommodate the high number channels etc. but I don’t know how serious the threat of a change of system is.  I’d be surprised if the change rendered existing tuners obsolete as that would probably cause uproar so soon after introduction.  

Bit rate isn’t the only thing that affects sound quality but it’s worth noting that Sky and Freeview radio channels are usually broadcast at a higher bit rate than DAB equivalents.  So if you have Sky or Freeview you may want to consider using that as your radio source.  I ended up doing this via Toslink from my Sky box into a DAC that has a crack at up-converting the digital sample.  This puts a bit of space and sparkle into the music compared to using the audio output direct from the Sky box.  It’s fair to assume therefore that a good dab tuner with a decent built in DAC and good downstream electronics will sound better than the (presumably) basic audio circuit on the Sky box RCA output, even if the bit rate is lower.  But if you already have Sky or Freeview it’s worth a try. 

As with any fixed rate, low bit compression format I have heard, the more complex the music is the flatter and coarser the sound becomes.  This holds true for Sky radio and I assume DAB.  Not all channels that use the same bit rate sound the same either, some sound noticeably better than others.  Accepted wisdom says that this is down to different encoding but clumsy use of transmission maximisers/dynamics processors is probably as much to blame for the ones that sound flat.  Again I am talking about Sky but I understand the same to be true for DAB.  Not a straight answer to your question but I hope this background info is of interest.

I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic