FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Apple Wav or Lossless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
88_King View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88_King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apple Wav or Lossless
    Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 8:47pm
I also agree with Mrarroyo. I have an ipod touch 32Gb, with 2,300 songs in AAC 320kbps format taking up 20Gb of space. I can't tell any differences between Apple lossless and AAC 320kpbs on my Sennheiser IE8 and NUforce icon mobile DAC/amp which I use for enjoying music on the go.

I'd suggest using AAC encoding is the most efficient format for the ipod. Unless you have an ipod classic than you have enough space to use which ever format you want.

Edited by 88_King - 04 Dec 2010 at 5:09pm
AIFF source + Cambridge DacMagic + Solo II + Sennheiser HD800 = Music heaven :-)
J2004823 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2004823 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 4:00pm
1) I totally agree with Mrarroyo's point on the listening environment. Differences between lossless formats are subtle to the most, if our gears can produce any. Those differences will be hardly perceivable when on the go.

2) FLAC is technically more advanced than AIFF. However, that is not the same as claiming FLAC will be superior when it comes to listening experience.

3) Is FLAC also a better file format than M4A? I have no idea. Both are lossless formats supporting compression. I suppose we need many ABX tests to draw a conclusion here, if there can be a conclusion.

4) The revealing power of the device often matters more than the subtle difference between lossless formats. Most portable devices are simply not capable of reproduce any differences between lossless formats.

I use FLAC to archive my music CDs, compression level is around 4 and 5 (compression can be as little as 0, or as much as 8). As for my iPod, I use WAV for maximum compatibility since my computers are running Windows. The obvious compromise is the absence of cover arts on my iPod.

Unless heavily invested in a Hi-End system, it's safe to consider FLAC & M4A as no perceivable audio differences.

Seems I was just repeating Marroyo, in somewhat different terms :)
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro / iPod Classic 160GB (7G)
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 2:24pm
Lets remember how you and I use these files ... on the go. Even if Flac was indeed better by 10% in a control environment with top of the line dacs, amps, speakers/headphones the difference would disappear when you are in a noisy street corner or plane using a less than ideal studio gear. My point, either will do fine. Cheers.
Miguel
pinkerj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 10:45pm
Thanks

I agree it is your personal choice

I've got a ipods as well but read that an opinion that flac was a better format -I have not got it so I do not know so was interested to hear other's thoughts.

You can use WAV with itunes/Ipods but again was interested to hear if others thoughts on this
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 8:29pm
It is like comparing chocolate to vanilla, depends on what YOU like/want. I use iPods and iPhones so I use Apple Lossless.
Miguel
pinkerj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 6:07pm
I do a fair amount of my listening on the go through my ipod and recently got a voyager

I have read various articles about FLAC being better than Apple's Lossless format

Looking for opinion on this

Also has anyone compared songs on WAV to Lossless and have an opinion on this?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic