FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

"Rolling" Op Amps in Voyager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
krismusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krismusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Rolling" Op Amps in Voyager
    Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 10:25pm
Hi,
 I am using a Voyager and iPod with great results. I have the Sennheiser IE8 IEM's.
As you may know these are a very warm sounding headphone. I have read of people taming this, with other amps, by changing the op amps.
Is this something that you would recommend with the Voyager?
Thanks Smile

Edited by krismusic - 02 Feb 2010 at 10:26pm
thepoetboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepoetboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:08am
I do wander why people stay quiet on this, maybe it is to keep the integrity of the signature sound mr graham has spend pain staking hours to preserve and also if you are a newbie, you might risk damaging the op amp if you do not have any decent tweezers/tools.
But if you interested, I will pm you but at your own risk.

Eric

Graham Slee Voyager,
TU-PH01, TU22
Earsonics SM3, Fit Ear 111, IE8
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 4:46pm
The Voyager is configured in such a way that the op-amp used will function properly.

Other op-amps may not have an adequate common mode input voltage range and in such cases will either not work at all... or some will get damaged by a condition known as latch-up.

I always encourage people to learn about electronics where it is of interest to them, but frown upon people who don't know what they're doing but do so anyway. I also feel very frustrated to see the blind leading the blind.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 6:39pm
Please!!!! Do NOT "roll" op amps!Thumbs Down
The one used in any device was hand-selected by the designer for it's specific purpose.
Therefore one should not expect any improvement.

"Rolling" op amps is a breach of contract; voiding the warranty.

Graham, as the designer, would have to approve of any modifications to his design!
This is copywrite law.

His designs are more complex than they appear.

Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 7:34pm
I feel I must add that even using an op-amp who's common mode input range is wide enough for the type of bias used in the Voyager, there are other matters that should be observed.

One regards high frequency stability, or instability if you get it wrong. All op-amps (and discrete implementations) have a Gain Bandwidth Product, which at some frequency falls to unity gain.

Left uncompensated the amp would ring or oscillate and some people are known to like the sound that produces.

Often that is considered a success in "chip rolling", and often many follow.

Some then go on to found companies making unstable products, and with there being so many uneducated reviewers on the internet, such products are very well received.

It is often then noted that these things can run hot, and that is perceived as good hi-fi....

...then the electrolytic capacitors burn out early and the "nodders" will in no way disagree with themselves, but instead put up with the failing sound quality, and eventually find somebody like me to make things better.

And it goes round and round and upside down, and it doesn't do me any favours at all.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 7:46pm

I'm quite amazed that Graham hasn't already lost his rag on this topic... Dead

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 10 Sep 2013 at 7:47pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by krismusic krismusic wrote:

Hi,
I have the Sennheiser IE8 IEM's.
As you may know these are a very warm sounding headphone. I have read of people taming this, with other amps, by changing the op amps.

In my opinion a good amplifier should be transparent, i e neutral in it´s sound signature. Of course there is no absolute neutrality, but if the sound is to warm i would recommend changing the headphones instead. Changing the op-amps to get a less warm sound is for me like putting the wagon in front of the horse. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic