FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best portable digital music player?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 9:06pm
I apologize if my previous post seemed a little confrontational or aggressive. That wasn't the intention. I simply have ambitious expectations of equipment, that's all.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 11:02pm
It's good we all care about getting the best sound and respect each others' approach to this. Beauty is in the ears of the beholder.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 8:50am
Good morning all,

After yet another break, I'm back seeking advice in the never ending pursuit of REAL HiFi mixed with changing circumstances. As this thread already exists, it makes more sense to resurrect it rather than start a new one.

Due to how bad the sound system is in my new car I am planning a system overhaul, but the one outstanding feeling is how bad head units are nowadays! After meeting some nice people on the sound quality competition circuit, my eyes have been opened to the idea of using a DAP as the main source instead. When the whole system gets replaced I'd need either USB, optical, WiFi or aptX Bluetooth streaming to connect to the processor (currently just a 3.5mm stereo jack to the standard head unit), but for now I need to get the DAP so I can start enjoying music again!

Things have moved on a lot since this thread was last updated and iriver now only release players under the Astell & Kern brand. On top of them you have FIIO, Cowon, Cayin, iBasso, Questyle and Colorfly to name a few, although most come with a laughable price tag. Does anyone have any up-to-date recommendations of DAPs to go for?

Apart from the requirements above, I manage all my music manually in folders in Windows with all tags removed so a player that views by folder mode would be ideal. I have no need for album-art, just a dedicated music only DAP. Expandable memory via microSD card is also a must for high speed file transfer.

I have used my phone up to present but I'm not overly keen on the results I've had and don't want to buy a software player for it if I could better invest that in a dedicated DAP which shouldn't have any glitches.

If you can recommend anything, that would be most appreciated but I accept that most of us have proper HiFi systems indoors instead.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

P.S. The first person to recommend Apple gets shot. Tongue
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:09am
The Fiio range are good value, i have a 1st generation x3 which has headphone, line and optical out. Terrible ui though on the gen 1.

Not sure how any will be with no tags though on the usability front.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 11:01am
Cowon all the way and their price tag isn't laughable. Knocks the socks off the chewed fruit variety for sound quality!
Try and listen to a S9 if you can get hold of one, not available new though.Smile
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 3:17pm
Cheers guys. I agree on the pricing of both brands; they seem very realistic compared to everyone else. I mean seriously, even Apple are cheaper than your average Astell & Kern or Sony. These manufacturers must be loving the ludicrous profit margin. The funniest thing is IMO FIIO and Cowon's players are generally better looking! I do love the common sense you get from this forum!

ServerBaboon - One of the Euro champions from the competition circuit uses FIIO. How do the newer ones compare in your opinion?

oldagetraveller - I was looking at Cowon years ago but then stopped commuting to work on public transport. I guess it's pretty much the same question for you too: how do the newer versions compare?

Any other suggestions out there? Or should I hold out for the Graham Slee DAP? Wink
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:32pm
I use an AK70 and am pretty happy with it. SQ is impressive, the firmware update means you get wireless & bluetooth & it works with Tidal. Downsides - max 256gb SD slot (I only store uncompressed files) & if ur using wifi and/or bluetooth it sucks the battery dry in a few hours, but switch them off and it's OK -  I've never run out of juice yet. If I was buying now I would be looking very hard at the FIIO x5 v3. On paper it's agreat spec.. reasonable money and it looks nice too.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic