FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best portable digital music player?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 11:38pm
You could add an iBasso D10 to function as a DAC via optical and then feed the Voyager.
Miguel
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 6:44pm
Funny thing is, I've just done exactly that - iBasso D10 to take the optical out from the H140. (I'll still buy a Slee DAC if/when that appears!). The H140 line-out quality is head-and-shoulders above many portable players but with the wolfson DAC in the iBasso we're into a whole different realm - real "I just got a whole new music collection" territory. It's quite extraordinary to be able to get this sort of music on the move and from 3 small self-powered boxes!

Note the 3 boxes! The iBasso DAC is excellent (taken from its line-out) but it also has a built-in headamp and I was curious to see whether I would be able leave the Voyager at home from time to time. I guess, given its pedigree, I always expected the Voyager to do better, but I'm surprised at how much better it is.

The iBasso headamp is by no means bad but the difference isn't subtle. No matter what the complexity of the music, Voyager presents it all in the same unflappable clean and open way, detailed without ever losing the flow and rhythm. The iBasso headamp gets confused with the musical line foremost in the mix and everything else gets smeared over. I know soundstaging is a "hi-fi" term but it does apply here. Voyager has real depth and width compared to the D10.

I'm being slightly unfair as this is a thoroughly burnt-in Voyager versus a new D10 but Voyager did have this sound on the very first listen, which is why buying it was a complete no-brainer.

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 11:31pm
Let the iBasso DAC burn in for a good 350 hours or so. If you wish to further enhance its headphone performance contact Ron (HiFlight at Head Fi) for one of his "top-kits" of op-amps to improve the D10's headphone output.
Miguel
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 9:22pm
My iPOD 160GB is small and holds plenty of 320kbps and lossless AAC files. It's a good compromise for travelling with in-ear phones, but sounds much better with its line out going into my DAK Novo (which is superb) and SR80i's.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 2:32pm
Hullo everyone

October 2013 update.

There's loadsa love being shown to the new Fiio X3 player on other well respected forums. It's certainly smashed into the affordable DAP market with a bang and may upset the established applecart somewhat. Might be worth investigating as the SQ is supposed to be great. Expandable to 64GB with external flash cards.

The Cowan X7 holds upto 170 plus GB with 2 SXDHC cards and the consensus seems to be its top top SQ. BUT its OS is buggy as hell and zillions of users are complaining about this reliability issue so you may wish to investigate but read those comments far and wide. And, oh, it's ugly and big as hell. Yuch I'm not carrying one of those ever!

For myself, I rock a 160 GB 7G Ipod filled entirely with ALAC files. I run it through to my Fostex HP P1 DAC/Headphone Amp feeding a pair of Senn Momentum On Ears. The SQ is fab..no complaints on listening on the move at all. 

One more point related to this: There is a lot of hogwash around among ill informed  peeps on the supposed bad SQ of the Ipod. I have to agree with Graham, it's a portable wonder if you want loads of GB's on your DAP. And it sounds great. Measurements tend to show the DAC is fine, nothing wrong with it at all. 

To test this for myself, I used the Ipod through the headphone output alone and yes it leaves a lot to be desired! There is definitely an issue IMO with the Ipod Headphone out. Then I used my LOD from Fiio (excellent and reliable by the way) to feed a Fiio E11 headphone amp and the SQ jumped to another level entirely - excellent! Plenty of seperation, the soundstage widened and deepened, there was now power, poise and a balanced sound that was never brash or fatiguing..love this tiny combo I do!

Then I fed the Ipod to my Novo via a LOD to Phono connection - and here it is just lovely!

I then fed the Ipod into the Fostex DAC and I got a similar level of excellent sound quality. 

So the lesson for me was simple. Don't use the headphone out of the Ipod EVER. Use the LOD to feed an external amp or dac. I can only surmise from all this experimentation that the Ipod DAC on my 7G anyway - whatever it is - is absolutely fine.

One more important point and it has to do with the law of diminishing returns. There simply - for me anyway - was not a massive jump in SQ from the tiny Fiio E11 to the Fostex! a 50 quid amp basically held its own against a 500 quid one. The differences are there but only really in terms of subtlety and air and space..and then not that much. I am more than happy to carry the tiny Fiio around with the Ipod rather than the larger Fostex oftentimes.

I am not an Apple fanboy at all. Like others here I absolutely loathe the Apple lock in and ITunes, but I work around those to fill up the Ipod - easily done! 

I don't have a Voyager but am hoping to hear one in action with my set up if its possible to LOD it to my Ipod.

Regards

Edited by dillon - 17 Oct 2013 at 2:48pm
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 3:03pm
Quote I don't have a Voyager but am hoping to hear one in action with my set up if its possible to LOD it to my Ipod.

Regards

Try Darren / Ian at Audio Elevation, they do a good connector for iPod to voyager.

Regards

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 6:37pm
Cheers for the heads up Les..yes I just caught that thread and that sounds extremely promising as I really do want to check out the Voyager. 
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic