FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best portable digital music player?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I like my V20 more than my V30+ overall and want to sell the V30+ in the coming weeks. Both have really decent sound quality that is clear and musical. I haven't compared them directly to the Bitzie but I'm confident that with both Lautus USB powerwire/OTG and 2-3 hours of power-on time, the Bitzie would win easily, especially in bass and stereo image projection. Power on time transforms the Bitzie into a remarkable device. It is still excellent at first power-on but on-time changes a great performance into an inspiring one. No contest - just a choice of convenience.

I turn all phone sounds off in the menus.
Thanks Ash, that answers it then. The likelihood of powering the Bitzie for even two hours before using it is very slim. And if I then listen on the way home from work, it would have definitely "cooled down" unless I leave it plugged in somewhere which is not something I want to do in site offices!

I always leave my Bitzie powered at home so had not even thought to factor that aspect it. A dedicated DAP it must be then.

For the record, my phone sounds are permanently off. I was referring to hearing what I presume must be the flash memory being accessed or the processor operating. I am not sure what but I remember hearing such noises occasionally when headphones are plugged in.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:28pm
I don't hear any electrical noises from the V20 or V30+. Never tried to output digital audio via OTG with them so can't comment on noise there. I'm something of an "all-or-nothing" guy when it comes to audio. I personally gave up on a high performance portable system because I personally heard how significant an effect power-on time had on sound quality. Can't keep portable devices powered up constantly because the battery runs out of charge before long. A quality power supply is needed for long power-on time, low noise and full voltage swing etc but not going to get that without being tethered to a wall or power outlet so not exactly portable. An open headphone like the MySphere 3.1 isn't suitable for listening out in noisy or dirty environments either so I'm not going to waste a capable Bitzie source on some small but decent earbuds. They wouldn't tap into the Bitzie's full potential and if I'm not going to get all of its potential, I won't bother having the device at all. Also not going to get anything remotely close to speaker imaging from portable headphone audio so the phone alone is good enough for casual enjoyment. I go to the tethered Majestic indoors if I want ultra-high performance. Maybe my expectations with everything are simply too high.

For summit-fi, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Smyth Realiser A16 to pair with Majestic DAC and Solo ULDE. Enigma PSU1 for the Majestic DAC. Enigma or regular PSU1 for the Solo ULDE. Would like to see if Graham's high quality 5V 3A PSU could possibly be used to power the Smyth Realiser A16. CuSat50 or Lautus interconnects for everything and a MySphere 3.1 at the end of the signal chain. System left on for a few weeks and then I want to hear the results. Would like to be able to imitate speakers completely in this way and it should be just as resolving as electrostatics are claimed to be.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:50am
Thanks Ash. Do you only use your phone as a music transport at home then, or also when out?

I just had a thought. What about a decent powerbank (Anker, etc.) with the Bitzie...?

I understand that viewpoint. I do however find it extremely difficult to carry my Hi-Fi system with me when I am commuting on the train... Wink

Sadly putting food on the table for my two boys has meant I have had to sacrifice pursuing summit-fi. But when achieving that requires being out of the house for more than 12-hours each day in a rewarding yet stressful job, only to get home and be attacked by a one and three year old who have not seen me since dinnertime the night before, the opportunity to de-stress with some me time that does not steal from the family is basically my only option. Factor in that I have not been able to enjoy music for over two years due to the boys requiring attention and the compromises are in the grand scheme of things worth making, as long as it is as high quality as possible as is realistically achievable.

Edited by miT - 15 Aug 2019 at 7:56am
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:48am
Yes family restrictions are a major hurdle to overcome- I opted out of music listening for over 10 years whilst the kids were younger but soon led to my ErAGold/elevator purchases once let loose again; and also explains why I have nothing in my music collection in the 90s and early 2000s 
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Yes family restrictions are a major hurdle to overcome- I opted out of music listening for over 10 years whilst the kids were younger but soon led to my ErAGold/elevator purchases once let loose again; and also explains why I have nothing in my music collection in the 90s and early 2000s 
Absolutely spot on mate, we need that carrot dangled at the end to make the sacrifice worthwhile. I am trying to at least expose the boys to different types of music to broaden their minds, and due to getting Spotify Premium as part of my phone contract I make sure I at least get the new Now albums to keep a foot in the door.

A while to go yet though so hopefully a portable system will keep me sane.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 2:57pm
If I could only have a portable setup, I would go for the LG V20 with micro-SD inserted for large storage. Would connect it to a Bitzie (assuming OTG works) via an adapter/Lautus Powerwire. I would get a much higher capacity aftermarket battery for the V20's power and a high capacity USB powerbank for the Bitzie power. Then I would connect something like the ER4XR to the Bitzie. I can't justify spending my money on this though as I simply don't need it.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

If I could only have a portable setup, I would go for the LG V20 with micro-SD inserted for large storage. Would connect it to a Bitzie (assuming OTG works) via an adapter/Lautus Powerwire. I would get a much higher capacity aftermarket battery for the V20's power and a high capacity USB powerbank for the Bitzie power. Then I would connect something like the ER4XR to the Bitzie. I can't justify spending my money on this though as I simply don't need it.
Sounds like a good proposal Ash.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
  Share Topic