FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best portable digital music player?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:44pm
Have you tried winamp? Maybe try a cheap sim free like the P6?

I don't listen to music or radio while driving. I have the basic radio with CD slot which came with my Transporter Kombi Startline (it's a van), and I only use it if I'm stood waiting for my son to come out of college. My wife has one of those new fangled touchscreen things in her Vitara which does everything, and every time you start it the radio comes on and it's a scramble to make the thing turn off. I suppose if I drove long distances on motorways I might be tempted to listen to Radio 4...

Making an amp for a car might not throw up too many problems, but where do you put the speakers? The built-in ones always seem to have plasticky grilles which rattle and vibrate. Nothing much seems to have changed since my MK3 Cortina...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:59pm
A Graham Slee car DAC/amp that plugs into the 12V lighter plug or similar would be good. Or just an amp that plugs into the 12V supply and we drive it through a Bitzie. Doesn't need to be a really powerful amp, just very low noise so sensitive high resolution speakers can be driven well. Speakers would need to be braced securely in the front insert to help dampen vibrations that would affect playback.

I'm quite surprised that Graham hasn't already pimped his vehicle's sound system to the max. Probably too busy concentrating his efforts into vinyl reproduction and audio applications where mains power is a single cable away.

And how would the user be able to have the car audio electronics powered on all the time to achieve a stable optimum performance? They wouldn't; the battery would go flat.

Edited by Ash - 15 May 2017 at 11:10pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:22pm
Could stick an inverter in the boot?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Could stick an inverter in the boot?

Sense at last Wink
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:01am
For one box convenience I picked up a discounted Fiio X5 Gen 2 and like the sound. Two 128GB micro HD's and I can carry a lot of music when I go away. Playback through my Klipsch X10's as before.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:54am
If 20 watts (maximum with engine running and charging at 13.6V) into 4 Ohms would suffice I suppose I could make 2 bridge amps for 12 volt operation and stick them in a box.

But I have a pile of things to develop and productionize (as most of you know). Wink
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:06pm
Sorry guys, work has been exhausting as always so I haven't been able to reply until now.

Graham - Yes, I've been using Winamp on my PC since version 1 and never needed anything else. Do they do an Android version now?

I could always use my existing Android phone, at least as a test...

In recent months I've learned quite a bit about car audio and to say the least, car audio is an expensive nightmare to get right. Doing it properly though the imaging is sublime, hence they actually compete for the best sounding system. There are only a handful of good installers/tuners in the country though.

Ash - I'm also surprised Graham hasn't done anything with car audio. Even talk radio would sound better through GSP Audio kit!

Fatmangolf - Another vote for FIIO ay? If I can't work out how to get the Bitzie working in the car, that will definitely be my back up plan. In fact it may end up winning simply due to the convenience!

Graham - You're tempting me more and more! I'll try and find some driver specs so you can tell me if it could work.

Edited by miT - 23 May 2017 at 8:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
  Share Topic