FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best portable digital music player?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:52pm
A cheap second-hand smartphone like a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a 64GB micro-SD card, a couple of spare batteries and a Bitzie with or without powerwire would be my approach. Wouldn't have to spend too much to achieve excellent sound.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:44pm
DaveG - The FIIO X5 gen 3 is getting a lot of love! And coming from an iriver/AK user, that says a lot! I'm currently working through both manufacturers' websites but FIIO's pricing is almost unbelievable!

Ash - You must be happy with that setup if you still recommend it two years down the line! That "system" would cost more than the X5 gen 3 though. I'm currently using my OPPO Find 7 which is also Android for media only (it lives in flight mode as it's SIM-less) but as an earlier poster mentioned, phones run too many background operations in comparison to a DAP. I occasionally get a glitch where the music "stutters" but I'm loathe to buy Neutron if a DAP would work better. I already have Neutron on my BlackBerry and it's excellent but I use it as a SatNav (best one I've used) but the commands interrupting my music every few seconds are downright annoying. Shame too as more than one distraction on the dash isn't my cup of tea.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:45am
I only suggested this combo because I thought you had a Bitzie with powerwire already so adding an older cheaper phone with a long battery life and using USB power from the car and the microSD is straightforward to swap if you need more than 64GB storage.

Although the Bitzie is going to be overkill for the car amp and speakers. Probably just ignore my suggestion...

Edited by Ash - 15 May 2017 at 7:50am
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:54am
(The problem is inadequate power for Proprius in a car so can't do what I'd really want to do...)
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:11pm
The Bitzie and an S3 can do 7.5 hours continuous on one S3 charge. I remember driving for 8 hours once (to Wales...), but most journeys are less...

OK, I'm biased, but then again if something is sh*t I say so. I will say that I decided to use my Bitzie with my cheap Huawei/EE Kestrel for use in the garden (with my HD250s) when the sun decides to shine again. Although the current cabling is messy, it sounds bloody good to me. Overkill? Why should anyone want to deny their enjoyment of music?

I have hunted down a solid micro-USB OTG adapter to save on the bulk of two cables (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B7OVW36/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and so the Lautus USB ferrite is now at the correct distance from the source. So I now have a micro-USB OTG version of the Lautus USB.

The files on my phone are FLAC and are no worse than CD quality. The USB signal is as good as it gets IMO - the connection direct to the Majestic USB input tells me that.

Therefore any suitable phone, the adapted Lautus USB and a Bitzie will perform the desired function of portable music player. The Bitzie will output to a line input/headphones, convert to toslink and coax, all at the same time as you know.

It's a simple solution. Now, if it's the cable that's the problem, I'm looking to try a shorty cable from China. It may sound OK, we will have to wait and see (hear).
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:44pm
I still remember how superb a S3-OTG-LautusUSB-Bitzie-HD540II combo sounded but for car audio, I would assume that he would want to listen with stereo speakers instead of headphones. He'd need a decent car amp and speakers with a well balanced sound otherwise it would severely hold the Bitzie back. If you can suggest a way around the big bottleneck here Graham (e.g a GSP car stereo amp that runs off 12V and gives the Proprius a run for their money), I'm all ears.

Edited by Ash - 15 May 2017 at 8:52pm
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:56pm
Sadly my Bitzie needs to stay indoors as it will be feeding my custom Mark Audio speakers music (when we move again and I can start using them!). However the thought of having a Graham Slee source in the car is REALLY appealing! The issue I have with my phone is that music sometimes stutters (pauses for less than a second) and then plays normally. Both phones do this and I have no idea why.

Graham - I'm intrigued how you can survive any car journey while listening to music. What system is in your car??

Ash - Graham Slee car audio ay? I probably shouldn't encourage you but call me selfish, I want some of that too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
  Share Topic