FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best portable digital music player?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:18pm
I've been using Foobar2000 for Android on my aged Samsung Galaxy S5Neo, and I wish I'd done it earlier.
All the bare bones basic simplicity of the Windows Computer version, and because it's basic it doesn't hog resources.

I have driven a number of different hire vehicles this year, and they all integrate with the phone to a greater or lesser degree.
Basic integration is phone over Bluetooth.
Better integration allows the car stereo to pull files in from your phone, just so long as it's happy playing the format.
The best integration allowed me to play the files from the phone using Foobar, so take a bow Vauxhall and Ford.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Battery life with screen brightness turned down and hi-fi DAC on seems to be really good. Well over 100GB of internal storage and a slot for a huge capacity micro-SD as well. Best player I've owned so far. Really decent.

More and more, I find myself growing tired of hi-fi and the whole obsession with "quality" and equipment. I just want simple, capable devices that are enjoyable to listen to and this phone and MySphere 3.1 tick the boxes. I don't care about the latest hi-res formats and all the other typical hi-fi hype. I probably shouldn't even be on a hi-fi forum really as I enjoy music in all forms and fidelities and probably don't have the cognitive ability to appreciate a lot of the differences.

As long as my music source/files and headphone are decent, I'm happy to call the whole journey to an end and settle for what I have.

P.S Great to have you back.

Thanks Ash. Sadly nowadays the hectic nature of life leaves me limited time on here as I have nothing to bring. I only started listening to music again (listening in the car does not count) since I started this new job 4 weeks ago so it felt right to pop back in.

That sounds like a decent DAP there Ash. And far more realistically priced than the dedicated DAPs of today. As always, popularity = money spinning opportunities. Have you compared it to a phone and a Bite? I would consider that if it wasn't for the logistical nightmare while carrying a laptop, backpack, etc.

I completely understand about getting to the end of the journey. Nowadays it seems you have to wade through 85% of the rubbish out there to find the few decent items. Once you have found something you are happy with, I say just enjoy it. You never know what new responsibilities you could suddenly have that then prevent you from enjoying what you have. After all the recommendations on here I got myself some custom made speakers running Mark Audio drivers, only to then find myself having to progress through the career ladder and having extra mouths to feed. I don't think I have even listened to them properly since I got them two years ago. Confused
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I've been using Foobar2000 for Android on my aged Samsung Galaxy S5Neo, and I wish I'd done it earlier.
All the bare bones basic simplicity of the Windows Computer version, and because it's basic it doesn't hog resources.

I have driven a number of different hire vehicles this year, and they all integrate with the phone to a greater or lesser degree.
Basic integration is phone over Bluetooth.
Better integration allows the car stereo to pull files in from your phone, just so long as it's happy playing the format.
The best integration allowed me to play the files from the phone using Foobar, so take a bow Vauxhall and Ford.

Hi Chris,

Have you ever tried Neutron MP3 player? That is all I use (unless wanting to sample new music via Spotify) and it is great.

If you are using Bluetooth, have you compared to the aptX Bluetooth profile? I must admit that in my [limited] critical listening it sounds as good as a cable connection compared with the standard profile. How technology has progressed!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

Hi Chris,

Have you ever tried Neutron MP3 player? That is all I use (unless wanting to sample new music via Spotify) and it is great.

If you are using Bluetooth, have you compared to the aptX Bluetooth profile? I must admit that in my [limited] critical listening it sounds as good as a cable connection compared with the standard profile. How technology has progressed!

Hi Tim

I'm sure the Neutron MP3 player is good at what it does.

I have enough stuff to cart around when leaving the house as it is, so another device is out of the question.
For me it has to live on my Swiss Army Knife of a Smartphone.
When I listen to music off the phone it's generally using wired AKG branded Samsung earbuds.

The beauty of using Foobar is that it plays everything gaplessly, and I don't worry about format.
I was using AAC files, because space was limited, but I now have a a 128GB MicroSD fitted and I just drag FLAC folders around every now and then.

miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 11:04am
Hi Chris,

To clarify, Neutron is an Android app rather than a standalone music player. It is however one of the most customisable and even has a 30-band EQ which is rather useful.

I am in the same boat as you there; I would love to put my Bitzie back into  service and start using it with my phone but have to think very carefully about the additional devices to carry around.

I recently got an amazing deal on a 512gb MicroSD card so for the first time in history, I have all of my music with when I go out. Pretty mind-blowing when you think about it.
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

For one box convenience I picked up a discounted Fiio X5 Gen 2 and like the sound. Two 128GB micro HD's and I can carry a lot of music when I go away. Playback through my Klipsch X10's as before. 

Another vote for the Fiio X5 Gen 2.
For long haul travel i also use a Fiio M3 for its 24 hours battery life and the $50 price tag that means if i lose it i will not slap myself. 

No Music, No Life!
Paul
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

To clarify, Neutron is an Android app

My bad Embarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
  Share Topic