FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best portable digital music player?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:35pm
"Ash - I'm also surprised Graham hasn't done anything with car audio. Even talk radio would sound better through GSP Audio kit!"
I suspect the substantial improvement in ICE over the last 30 years, the many in-built in dash systems, the propensity of people to change their cars quite regularly these days, those bought with PCPs and company cars may limit the interest as will the need for many to have them hard wired in.  I also strongly suspect that a lot of the younger owners may be more interested in lots of watts rather than sound.

That said the comment is probably very true.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:24am
I agree, youths nowadays think Beats headphones are the best so you've got no chance of teaching people like that!
charlesjohny8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesjohny8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:45pm
7 Years old thread but it was very helpful for me and learned a lot about digital music players.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 10:53pm
Has anyone used the LG V30 smartphone? I just received a brand new LG V30+ today and the sound quality is pretty incredible through just the stock earphones. The bass and imaging are very good indeed! I can hardly wait to try it with my MySphere 3.1 headphones. It has an FM Radio too, which is the icing on the cake. I decided to try this phone after reading much praise for it online. I now don't regret the £320 I paid for it. I shall have to try connecting it OTG to my Majestic DAC at some point too. Runs Android 7 Nougat but should be able to update it to Oreo. Beautiful display and sound, with very promising cameras. Really pleased.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 5:37pm
Hi Ash,

Been a while...

Sounds like you got a good price there!

I personally have not but the in-built DAC can't hurt the overall sound presentation.

Tim
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:18pm
Battery life with screen brightness turned down and hi-fi DAC on seems to be really good. Well over 100GB of internal storage and a slot for a huge capacity micro-SD as well. Best player I've owned so far. Really decent.

More and more, I find myself growing tired of hi-fi and the whole obsession with "quality" and equipment. I just want simple, capable devices that are enjoyable to listen to and this phone and MySphere 3.1 tick the boxes. I don't care about the latest hi-res formats and all the other typical hi-fi hype. I probably shouldn't even be on a hi-fi forum really as I enjoy music in all forms and fidelities and probably don't have the cognitive ability to appreciate a lot of the differences.

As long as my music source/files and headphone are decent, I'm happy to call the whole journey to an end and settle for what I have.

P.S Great to have you back.

Edited by Ash - 19 Jul 2019 at 10:26pm
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 5:33am
I enjoy the simplicity and excellent sound quality of my LG V20 with KZ ZSN earphones. Although it's getting on a bit now, the V20 remains a truly great DAP capable of driving full sized headphones with it's 2.1Vrms output and playing just about any type of file including DSD128. 

The ZSN is a true audio bargain and shows how far Chinese IEM products have come. It's a hybrid design with one 10mm dynamic driver and one balanced armature per side.25Ω and 104dB/mW means it can be driven by a potato. I shan't go into detail about the sound, suffice it to say that it's brilliant and I happily use this combo at the office when I need to shut myself off.

To my mind the LG V series phones can compete with most standalone DAPS of reasonable cost and score huge on convenience.
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
  Share Topic