FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hum Help! Clearaudio Concept/GS Era Gold/GS Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Elemental_Child View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental_Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hum Help! Clearaudio Concept/GS Era Gold/GS Solo
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 2:16pm
I acquired a Clearaudio Concept, Graham Slee Era Gold V, and Graham Slee SRG II.

But, have a distinct hum; any suggestions?

Since reading on Grahams' blog re naked wires, thought I should post a link to pictures of the Concept tonearm.

I isolated the issue to the turntable (I think), since the hum is present once the turntable is connected to the Era Gold; FYI the Concept is grounded at the Era Gold.

Suggestions as to how to eradicate the hum would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:35pm

Does it come with a cable from the turntable to the era gold, if so are they shielded, most hum issues are from unshielded cables.

You can also minimise hum by the layout of you cables, are there any psu wires near your pickup cables?

Did you buy all the components from the same dealer? perhaps you should speak to him if you did.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental_Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 6:42pm
The turntable came with built-in cables (Clearaudio Direct Wire), but unsure of the extent to which these are shielded.

The dealer advised to replace these cables, but I was hesitant to do so prior to picking the brains of various forums.

Reason being they appear to be built-in (not removed the plate to find out), is there just a basic connection there? There does not appear to be enough room for such a terminal?

FYI had asked this forum for suggestions, and posted pictures of the Direct Wire (note the GS units are stacked for purposes of the picture): http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=206163&highlight=beginner+hum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:56pm

Not a member of that forum so cannot see the cables.

Try not to have any power cables running in parallel and close by  your tone arm cables.

Are you able to loosen the plugs on the cable end that plugs into the era gold?  My father had some hum and it turned out that the shield connection had broken in one of the plugs.

Some other things you can try to pin down the source is to try wrap each of the leads from the turntable with some tin foil and see if this alters things; not sure this one actually does anything  but  ( and don't tell Graham Embarrassed he has criticised this practice by makers)  since some cable makers weave interconnects to try and reject noise it maybe worth a try, it's not a solution but may change things. Hold the weave with a bit of tape or a rubber band at either end, you can see what I mean if you search the internet, since this is a manufacturers site and GSP sell their own shielded cables it would be unfair to post links links to other manufacturers cables.

If you are able to change the cable make sure it is shielded and is low capacitance as I understand this also affects the sound of any phono cartridge to any phono stage.

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/Interconnects/cusat50interconnect.htm

If you got all the parts from the same dealer I feel he should be a little more helpful and he should be able to tell you how to change the cable.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 24 Jan 2010 at 7:57pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:04pm
Just looked on the Clearadio site and the Direct Wire listed on looks to be a moulded one piece design  with a central earth wire, is that the case?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental_Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

Just looked on the Clearadio site and the Direct Wire listed on looks to be a moulded one piece design  with a central earth wire, is that the case?

Thanks for you comments. The above assumption is correct, and that is why changing the cables has thrown me somewhat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:22pm

As a further point to cable layout , my old tone arm (fettled rega 250 ) has a built in cable with a simple earth cable with no shielding. When connected to a Reflex with the switch mode psu on a separate shelf with PSU cable carefully routed away from the tonearm cable and using a shielded cable from the phono stage to my amplifier I had no hum issues at all.

What cable to you have from your era gold to the solo? is this shielded if not see if you can borrow one. I should have said above but the hum my father suffered was from a broken shield out of the phono stage to the amp not from the cheap cable from his Rega tone arm.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 24 Jan 2010 at 8:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic