FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono Preamp Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 58>
Author
leo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:16pm
I've been wanting a bash at a  diy phono stage for ages so  this to me was hard to resistWink   also being impatient I wanted to make it ASAP so I'm glad to hear Graham didn't mind me knocking one up

Most of the bits including the  black Hamond aluminum case came from Maplin,     the vero board was actually the cheapo stuff without the copper strips so the circuitry was point to point wired on the bottom,  all grounds was star earthed using instrument cable which now cover most of the board.
The Evox film caps come in packs of 5 from RS,  the other bits like the Panny caps from Farnell,  I wanted to keep the component choice as close to Grahams as possible including the LF353 op-amp (also from Maplin) only thing which is different I used was  the resistors,   Maplin don't seem to stock carbons so I used metal films because they are sold in singles ,  they only come in packs of 50's or whatever from Farnell and RS.
Its actually surprising how much things add up if your sourcing everything yourself  so a full kit would certainly be great

I'm currently running it in using a plug in  linear PSU , I won't comment too much yet on the sound as things tend to change a lot during burn in,  as most already know capacitors go through the forming process but initial impressions are very good Big%20smile certainly worth the effort.
Turntable I'm using is the Technics SL-1210 MkII

A big thanks to Graham for sharing this project,  I think its nice a guy selling top phono stages goes to the trouble of sharing this with the diyers,  also being active on a thread during the design makes it special imo

Anyway  I'll be buying the kit once its available ,  it'll look far better than my knock up version LOL  

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:51pm
Nice work there Leo, I have not used a turntable in over 15 years but you never know. However I will not attempt to build one if I got back in, instead I would buy an already built unit. To many fires! Wink
Miguel
leo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 12:08am
Thanks Miguel,    

I'm actually quite new to vinyl, I'm just starting to get a small collection , I was brought up with cd

BTW we all get burned fingers from time to timeLOL    
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:34am

Seeing Leos prototype almost has me itching to have a go myself.

Not as if I need another phono stage, but we just can't keep from fiddling can we Wink

As Leo says, rather special to have been fully informed during the design decision making process.

Many thanks to Graham for that, it has been a most informative ride.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:40am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

...it has been a most informative ride.

It isn't over yet Big%20smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 2:20am
Genera built!

Tested and working, and looks like the PCB is OK.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
iamalexis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamalexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 10:59pm
Nice work! When might this be available? Also will you be offering various options, including the "turbo charging" upgrade you mention at the beginning of this article and elsewhere on the forum?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 58>
  Share Topic