FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono Preamp Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 58>
Author
Paperweight View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paperweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:54pm
Wow, that's a veritable treasure trove of info. Thanks Graham.

I almost miss paper books and underlining interesting parts with a red colored pencil.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:50pm
A great book list indeed. Thanks Graham.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:23am
Some great explanations about circuit configurations and some blow a great big hole in some forms of current hi-fi thinking....

(especially section 2.1: buffer amplifiers)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Alasdair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alasdair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:06pm
As a long-time happy Genera user, I finally succumbed and bought a PSU1 power supply for it. I was surprised by the results - it upgrades the sound far more than I ever imagined it would. The sound is 'bigger' all round - more, better bass, wider, deeper stereo image - but it is also more delicate and detailed, with apparently quieter background. It's a big change for the better.

I have recently been enjoying an old Goldring G900 fitted with a Tonar hyperelliptical stylus from Mantra Audio, which sounds very fine. However it is very fussy about loading capacitance, so I rigged up a little supplementary board inside the Genera with 25pF, 100pF, 150pF and 220pF capacitors on it and dip switches to connect them in any combination. After quite a bit of experimenting I had settled on 150pF in the Genera (in parallel with tonearm wiring of 70-80pF). However the PSU1 seemed to clean the treble to the point where it sounded slightly rolled off, so more experimenting with loading was in order. With the PSU1, I found that 125pF lifted the top end a little and sounds 'just right'. With this setup, the G900 sounds absolutely splendid. 

For anyone thinking of buying a Genera, or any Genera owner thinking about possible improvements, the message is don't hesitate - the PSU1 power supply is a major upgrade which lifts the sound quality from the Genera and makes it sound like a higher class phono stage altogether. It's well worth the extra money. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:07am
Thanks Alasdair, you've shown the value of trying these things out. I did something similar with my Genera, getting a PSU1 like you did and in trying loading options which help to get the turntable/cartridge sounding just right as you say.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:59pm
Images are back.

After a period where updates to diy-audio-kits.com accidentally took out important circuit diagrams, plots and photographs which illustrate this topic, they are now back in place.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:22pm
Thanks Graham. 136 thousand viewings was the other thing I noticed!
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 58>
  Share Topic