FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

"Green" Solo Ground Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Green" Solo Ground Mod
    Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:36pm
"Green" Solo Ground Mod

The "green" Solo volume control and switch were grounded to the case via the volume control bush. In some circumstances this method has not been as effective as I'd hoped, and one had to be returned to me for modification.

An improvement is to run a wire from the original case ground pad on the board to the case-ground solder tag as shown below.

This will lower the ground impedance between the volume control or switch and case ground.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
wadiaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadiaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 1:26pm
Thanks for this Graham,had some spare time so made this easy mod'. My compliments,a nicely made product !  One small point I would mention is...would you ask the man who tightens the nut on the volume control not to make it so tight,the thread on the collar of mine was stripped.No big problem to solve as a packing washer sorted it out but thought worth a mention.
Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 3:40am
Although I hadnt observed any problems with my Green Solo I thought I may as well do the mod, it cant hurt!

I used a small section of DH Labs twisted pair hook up wire. Its great stuff, I have used it for speaker cables and interconnects, with varying results, and Im sure its overkill for a ground earth, but its what I had handy.

I did have to enlarge the hole in the circuit board though. I used a 1.5mm drill bit, which was the smallest I had to hand, but not so large that it blew out the track on the reverse of the board.

So the end result being that I hear no difference, but at least I know that Im now well grounded. Big%20smile
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 6:19am
Originally posted by wadiaman wadiaman wrote:

Thanks for this Graham,had some spare time so made this easy mod'. My compliments,a nicely made product !  One small point I would mention is...would you ask the man who tightens the nut on the volume control not to make it so tight,the thread on the collar of mine was stripped.No big problem to solve as a packing washer sorted it out but thought worth a mention.

My fault - couldn't see the wood for the trees. The only way to make a solid case ground for effective pot screening was to make it really tight. I'd completely forgotten the pad I'd tracked in 4 years ago (pre "green") for the very purpose of avoiding doing that. Now we can nip them up as usual.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic