FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager Low Gain or High Gain?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager Low Gain or High Gain?
    Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 7:48pm
Just a quick question regarding wether my Voyager is a high gain or low gain version.

I purchased it about month ago, on the box it came with, there is a sticker with "230V / 115V" The 230V is Highlighted with a marker. does it mean i got the High Gain version?

Thanks Tian
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 11:16am
Unless the high gain version is specifically ordered the low gain unit is always supplied.

The high gain unit was found too much by earlier test volunteers (the beta test crew) and made it impossible for many to turn it down to a comfortable listening level without "micrometer" type adjustments down at 7 o'clock "on the dial".

I had originally thought the high gain version OK as I was testing using a Sony MP3 digital CD walkman (because it had my favourite music on it and being an old fogey, I didn't understand how to use the company iPod Classic...) and Sennheiser HD250 or PX200 headphones. It turned out that this particular walkman has a very low output and the HD250's need quite a lot of voltage swing.

When it came to its most probable usage - the iPod as signal source and low(ish) impedance street 'phones, or even ear buds, it was found too loud even with the volume control set right down.

As you know, I don't like switches in the signal path wherever possible (the contour switch is enough) and that includes gain switches. Therefore we "moulded" the gain to be just right for the vast majority of perceived uses - and that's the standard or low gain version. With my original set-up of digital CD walkman and HD250's I have to set it at near full volume to "blast" my ears.

Like I mentioned above, we will make a high gain version for anybody wanting it, but be warned - it could be too much.

We do have at least one customer who has both, as well as a Solo he used to drag around the world when on tour.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 3:41pm
I very recently bought the high gain version for my Senn PXC 450 noise reduction cans (600 ohm input impedance in noise reduction mode) and found the high gain version perfect, not too much and definitely not lacking any juice either.

Hope it helps
Chivas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic