FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

From tube phono pre to GS phono pre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
taratarat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taratarat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From tube phono pre to GS phono pre
    Posted: 14 May 2023 at 3:39pm
Hi, new member here at the GS forum. I have recently bought a Project Tube Box DS2, which is lovely sounding, other than it is plagued with a pulsing noise and hiss from my wifi extender (TS Link Powerline Adapter). I've tried all the usual tips, like moving devices and different power sockets but no difference. I can still return it, and just wondered if a GS option (like the Era Gold V with the PSU-1) could be a replacement with a warm value-like sound, but not the noise and interference. Thanks for any help :)   

Edited by taratarat - 14 May 2023 at 4:43pm
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 4:12pm
I hesitate to pronounce but I use the Era Gold V and until recent h used alvve amplifiers. Valve is a compromise in sound, not always consistent in performance,  warm and natural tone at a cost of " hiss " and other noise development. "Era Gold V " will take time to seasoned to it's optimum natural warm tone but patience and I am satisfied to have found the sound tone to the music i enjoy. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 6:11pm
Sylvain has covered the musical sound quality. I have not had any problems with interference on any of the Graham Slee equipment.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Sylvain has covered the musical sound quality. I have not had any problems with interference on any of the Graham Slee equipment.
Confirming Jon's response, I've used a TP-Line extender alongside my GS gear and not experienced any interference.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 7:28pm
Hi Stuart and welcome to the Forum.
These days our HiFi systems are bombarded with RF signals from WiFi, mobile phones and the like. Some HiFi equipment is made with total disregard of this potential RF interference. Sensitive (phono) amplifiers (and other equipment) if not shielded from these RF signals they will suffer audible interference. Poorly shielded items such as cartridges, tonearm cables and interconnects are particularly vulnerable and will act as aerials for RF interference, feeding it into phono amps. Phono amps with poor shielding can also suffer. The amplifier circuitry should also be designed to minimise interference.
Grahams designs do positively take these factors into account within reason, bearing in mind musicality is the overriding factor.
The best way of finding out if the ERA Gold will improve on your current set up would be to try one at home courtesy of the Loan scheme, available to Forum members. All it will cost you is the carriage costs. Contact John C the loan co-ordinator either by phone (details at the bottom of the page) or Private Message to arrange a loan.
Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
taratarat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taratarat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:10pm
Thanks for the welcome and really thoughtful & helpful responses above. Seriously thinking about the loan scheme. 

Another possible option is to keep the current tube pre and add an external linear power supply / battery. 

Appreciate this is not a GS solution (sorry!) but as another option do you think this would be likely to work?   
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 10:28pm
Probably not.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic