FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A trip to the dark side?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 6:34pm
It's funny. on another forum I'm a member of, a similar question was posted and the response was similar to what has been said on here too. In the end the member put a post up saying that he did managed to find a dealer that let him audition a MM & MC (He told the dealer his budget so both were similar in price) on the same system and he said he couldn't hear much in the way as to persuade him to go MC. He also said that the cost of replacement was a big factor too.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:31pm
You heard an Ortofon Anna and were not convinced - well that's the upgrade path to Audio Nirvana 
bubble burst Smile
Scratch the itch with Kevin's good offer of the loan of an Accession MC and beg, buy or borrow an MC
to try in your own system. Then you'll know.
MM & MI carts can be superb and so can MCs.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 1:06pm
I've heard some impressive MC carts, but typically they are very expensive. Way too expensive for me and most other folks I know. I don't know too many people that would drop $4K-10K on a cartridge.

There are some decent lower priced MC carts out there (e.g. ~$500) but they do come with pros and cons like everything else. No such thing as a perfect cartridge IME.

For me personally, I stick with an MM cart where OEM styli are still manufactured for my daily driver. I have the loading (resistance and capacitance) set to get the sound I want. I can replace the styli as often as I need to and don't have to worry about stretching a diamond beyond it's useful life.

Some people prefer MC carts and that is fine. Figure out what you like and go from there...
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 5:08pm
I am tempted to seek my contribution to this interesting trail......I s use but a AT 95  afr wrapped records 
 and Goldring 1042 for 180 gm re-produced Veuve and Gramophone masters. I have but a Project and DAK Genera and a retrieved from  a Integrated Amp board, a vertically inserted two stage SMD 2inch by 2 well printed board  on main circuit board. I await my first ERA GOLD V as my Vinyl Collection now is more of the distinctive 180gm re -issued from Digital cutting lathe groove.

the Vinyl revival has returned an Industry in mushroom growth of any and every accessories ton retrieve the subtle RIAA sound that the £00000 turntable can tempt ......But Vinyl evoke a deeper emotional  musicality ...whether the AT95 or G1042 than the silver disc in a drawer and that all that counts for me.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 8:19pm
Agreed, it is the joy of listening. I have enjoyed some good mc cartridges and mm cartridges. Please try them and go with your preference. I agree with David about being able to replace mm styli before they wear out.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 9:56pm
You know what? I think I will stick to MM. Doesn't make sense chasing something else... when one doesn't feel he's missing anything from what he has.

I will probably invest my money in something that actually makes an unquestionably hearable difference: removing the internal transformer and voltage regulator from my old Technics. I have listened to what an external linear PSU can do, and the difference in the noise floor is HUGE due to the vibration induced by the stock 35-years-old internal transformer.

I just have to find the courage to "desecrate" my old Technics which has remained completely stock all these years...

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 7:03am
Some take out the transformer and put it in a "satellite" box. That will remove the mains hum vibrations.

In its place there will be large charge currents flowing in the elongated wires.

It would make more sense for the transformer to be accompanied by a bridge rectifier and reservoir capacitors.

But, we don't know if the mains frequency has synchronisation uses. What we need is a circuit diagram.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic