FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession MC or Era Gold V & Elevator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hackfall View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hackfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accession MC or Era Gold V & Elevator
    Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 3:25pm
Hi Folks,

I am in a very lucky position, I'm in the process of upgrading my turntable, cartridge and phono stage. I currently have a Project Xpression 1, Goldring 1042 & Era Gold V. Its my 50th birthday this year and I have decided to invest in my ultimate and last turntable. Next week I am going to demo, Michell Orbe, Well Tempered Versalex and Nottingham Analogue Dais. 
I would also like to move from MM to MC, probably to a Hana ML cartridge. I knew when I purchased my current phono stage Era Gold (some 18 years ago!), it had the option of adding an Elevator EXP to allow the use of MC low output cartridges. I know that the Accession MC is available, at considerably more cost than the additional cost of an Elevator. 
I spoke to John at Graham Slee yesterday, he was very helpful and made aware of the Forum and the Loan Scheme, with the possibility of borrowing an Elevator to add to my Era Gold and an Accession MC to compare. I just wondered if anyone else had been down the road of comparing an Era Gold & Elevator verses Accession MC? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks
Andrew
Naim Supernait 3, Project Xpression1, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Naim ND5XS2, Naim NAT05, Neat Motive SX1.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 3:34pm
I have not compared those two configurations of equipment, but I think the loan program would be the best way for you to decide. Good luck with your decision on the turntable and other equipment. That's a nice birthday present to yourself :).
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Hackfall View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hackfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 5:48pm
Hi,

Thanks for the response, I will defiantly try the loan scheme. It is a big birthday present, my Father passed away last year, he left me some inheritance. I wanted to put it towards something special. 
Andrew
Naim Supernait 3, Project Xpression1, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Naim ND5XS2, Naim NAT05, Neat Motive SX1.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 7:40pm
I did the same for my 50th and went out bought a HiFi, but for me it was a savings bond that matured and the interest rates were not good at the time so I thought why not. I second the loaner program.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 7:49am
Hi Andrew,
I don't know if this helps - my audio memory is hazy & unreliable but I owned & enjoyed an Era Gold for many years for MM & MI carts - so unfortunately no Elevator for comparison.
I went up through Reflex & then Accession MM, now with Elevator with a Hana ML.

Each progression up the range brings greater definition and clarity with the common factor
of a highly listenable and musical sound..
A comparison of the loan Accession MC (standard PSU1 at the time) with Accession MM & Elevator
a while back was very interesting.
The Acc MC had more noticeable 'hear-through' clarity and just got a little bit further into the music.
My descriptions of sound aren't the best but I hope this helps.

Do make use of the loan scheme to try it out.Smile

Hackfall View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hackfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 8:54am
Hi Rich,

Many thanks for the advice, I am going to demo an Accession MC & Hana ML with the turntables next week. I think I will then use the loan scheme to compare a Accession MC and an Elevator with my Era Gold. The final comparison with my new turntable at home.
Its interesting you mention 'hear through' clarity, and further into the music. I think that is what I am looking for. I've always enjoyed hearing the detail and a certain kind of sparkle and drive in the presentation, I'm starting to get excited!
Andrew
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 9:54am
The Accession MC's extra bit of magic was enough, an order is finally going in for one from me soon.
I'm sure you'll be most impressed.Thumbs Up
All the best.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic