FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Occasional hum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 6:41pm
Fingers crossed.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 4:24pm
Today I have received my Isotek Evo Gemini mains filter. It is a bit of an expensive 2 way mains block, costing me just over €200.

I have plugged in it to my system, feeding my phono stage and preamp. So far, so good. The system has been powered up for over an hour, and no sign of the Buzz.

If this is what it takes to get rid of the noise (and hopefully have a better signal due to the lack of the noise) then it will be money well spent. I am sure I could probably build something cheaper, but this was much easier.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 9:32pm
Be interesting to hear what you think of the conditioner. Keep us posted. Hopefully it cures your itch.

Edited by Ernie - 31 Mar 2023 at 9:33pm
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 8:03pm
It does not affect the system in anyway bad that I can hear, so I am happy with it.
The system almost seems to send more details, due to the lack of noise.

It has a very bright blue LED built in it though.
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 12:47pm
The hum is still there, and it is annoying me.
If you listen (amongst the hiss) to this clip, you can possibly hear it. - https://drive.google.com/file/d/11W048At3m5d7KcalhMxty-9un6VDKxOY/view?usp=share_link

This is a condensed 3 minute clip, so you can see that the hum is not constant, but it almost sounds like a harmonic of 50Hz to my untrained ears.

I have a temporary fix, using my mains regenerator gets rid of it completely, but I would still like to know what is causing this, so I can fix the issue.
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 10:20am
Playing around with Audacity, I have managed to produce a plot, that confirms it is mains related:

There is a noise at 50Hz and a bigger one at 100Hz.
I guess I don't have many option of filtering this 100Hz noise out?

It makes me wonder if this is ground loop related, and if so would a mains isolation transformer help?

Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 1:22pm
I have altered the earthing scheme and cable layout, and have managed to reduce the hum significantly.
It seems that it was either an earth loop, or loop pick up.
It is not perfect, but I will do a better job in the Christmas holidays.
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic