FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Occasional hum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 10:54am
Is there anything with a mains ground connected in your audio system?
Hook it up to there.

You posted before I finished typing.

Something else crossed my mind.
Are you still using AK's modified arm, and what is the arm tube made of?

Edited by Chris Firth - 25 Mar 2023 at 10:58am
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 12:53pm
The phono stage is connected to the mains, as is the pre and the power.

Yes, I have AKs modified arm, with an aluminium arm tube. 

I have just made a new grounding lead, with a floating shield. It has been plugged in for 15 minutes, and no signs of a hum. It may not be the theoretically optimal solution, but if it works, who cares?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 12:59pm
Thumbs Up
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:29am
The even simpler solution has been found. Just disconnect the grounding cable from the phono stage.
Why did I not think of this earlier?

Why, because it still hums…. Cry

Digital is so much easier.

Edited by CageyH - 26 Mar 2023 at 9:31am
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 8:31pm
I think it is power related.

Out of desperation, I fitted ferrite beads on the internal power cables inside my phono stage, and the noise has dropped dramatically. I am hard pushed to hear it at normal listening levels (without music playing) so I have bought an Isotek power filter to see if that will help.
Kevin
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I think it is power related.

Out of desperation, I fitted ferrite beads on the internal power cables inside my phono stage, and the noise has dropped dramatically. I am hard pushed to hear it at normal listening levels (without music playing) so I have bought an Isotek power filter to see if that will help.
Is it worth swapping out your "lockdown special" valve hybrid phono stage and reinstating your previous solid state phono? 
As a valve unit, there is inherently more mains related guff floating about (heater, higher dc supply) in it.
Inspire Apollo tt, O/L modded RB250, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Different Approach inspired Phono, Putzeys Pre, Cusat, Raspberry Pi/Volumio, Bitzie, Self Load Invariant Power, Acoustic Energy AE509s
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:09am
No can do.
I don’t own a SS phono stage. I do have plenty available, but they are not mine. Wink

I am determined to fix the issue. I am a bit stubborn about these things. Hopefully it will be fixed at the weekend.
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic