FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Op-Amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Op-Amps
    Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:55am
An op-amp is a selection of semiconductors that perform a mathematical task within particular limits, that is integrated as a (sub) circuit onto a small piece of purified silicon using etching and depositing of other substances, using a lithographic process.

The earliest op-amps were individual components on a printed circuit board, which were basically plug-in modules using an edge connector.

Basically, they are ultra high gain amplifiers with two inputs and an output. The inputs are differential so that the resulting output is the sum of the difference between the inputs.

An audio op-amp is an op-amp designed to suit audio applications, again within particular limits. Because the output will do whatever is required to make both inputs equal it can be used for amplification of small signals, using it as a feedback amplifier.

An op-amp cannot work on its own and requires other circuitry to make it work as required. It can only do what its external circuitry allows it to do.

The characteristics of the op-amp dictate the limits as to what it can do, and the external circuitry must respect those limits, or the op-amp will misfunction.

Sometimes the problems found in discrete audio circuits can be overcome much more easily by substituting that part of the circuitry with an op-amp, but the op-amp might impose its limits on the intention of the designer.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 1:54am
This book...

...is free of charge in PDF form, although if you search for it you'll simply get ads of places to buy it.

In this book, you will realise that an op-amp is a block containing transistors and maybe the odd diode or zener diode, and perhaps a j-fet input stage and some tiny monolithic capacitors.

I'm often asked what is the difference between op-amps and discrete circuitry. The answer is that an op-amp contains discrete circuitry of a predetermined nature, but etched on a chip!

Transistors were pence and op-amps were tens of pence.

Just because an op-amp cost 50 pence, didn't mean it was inferior to 20 discrete transistors doing the same or similar job (at 2.5 pence each...)

Those believing the trash written in magazines are obviously gullible.

The value of a circuit is in its implementation. Some on here know me for the "smooth sound" (of the good variety that is), and so it should come as no surprise to read on a sales site that the CCM3 mixer from 1992 had a "smooth sound", seeing I designed it. I'll not go into how Audionics used to ensure its designer remained a poor nobody, but they're bust now and I never shed a tear for them.

So, it's how an op-amp is applied, nothing to do with op-amps being better, or worse than discretes.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 10:12am
My gratitude for the Education Library reference.  O
Op-Amp are very prominent in Audio circuit performing multiple defined tasks and shorten circuits boards. National Panasonic and Burr Brown(Texas Instruments) and Analogue devices have evolved to optimise Audio circuits and resistors and capacitors even in SMD forms are almost obsolete.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 5:18pm
in 2012 Elektor published a PreAmp and Tone Control design by Douglas Self which used all Op amps (a lot!) except for 4 transistors in the MC stage. I was tempted to make it as the figures looked good, but never did so can't say if the sound matched the specs. If anybody want a copy of the 3 Pdfs please message me.

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 7:44pm
Thanks from me too Graham. Like Peter I have got clippings from old electronics magazines with lots of op amps...
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:17am
Thanks Graham.
Will try to follow the information on op amps in the link you provided.
I remember very little now from the Polytechnic electronics course from many years ago.
Ideal op amp characteristic of 'infinite' open loop gain - both inputs could be assumed to be
at the 'same' voltage when in circuit, high input impedance and 'zero' output impedance.

Edited by RichW - 02 Mar 2023 at 10:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic