FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member and obvious phono stage dilemmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 12:33am
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

My 2 cents.

Your 2 cents are worth a lot more... priceless knowledge.Thumbs Up
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
JohnBrianstown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBrianstown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

The United States Victor Talking Machine Company (formed 1901) established the Japanese Victor Company in 1927, and two years later RCA bought the Victor Talking Machine Company, which included the Japanese Victor Company (JVC). From 1953 it was part of Matsush*ta Electric Industrial Co., Ltd (National Panasonic Technics).

Huh! RCA, the inventors of the transistor amplifier (the Lin - not L*nn - amplifier, early 1950s).

I'd say JVC knew what they were doing.

Late 1960s, RCA developed the DC-coupled amplifier, and by the mid-70's certain "rich" companies, who could afford the patent royalties, were producing DC-coupled amplifiers (the pattern part you now see under every lid, along with the donut transformer).

Now, obviously their marketing boasts the company founders as something kind of special, and the reviewers go along with that, and anybody who's a real audio engineer is silenced by the crowd, and since around 2005, by algorithms.

And now it's just all opinion, and everybody thinks they have one, except all opinions are shaped in people's minds by marketing departments.

Oh wow!! This is great, thank you so much for sharing!

I have to be honest, I was on the lookout for something vintage and that looked good, it was a long time since my last vintage amplifier and I missed the look mainly, plus the large VU meter got me when I first saw this amp.

My bewildering when I plugged it in and at the first spin the difference against the Roksan was so clear it was exhilarating. I bought the Roksan after reading lots of reviews and everyone was praising this amp.
Obviously I was quite unsure what my ear were hearing when comparing a unit costing a small fraction of the other, but the fact this JVC amp is really well made is quite obvious once in use.

I have learnt along the way reviews are often not a good representation of the components in use and also the personal taste in sound really trumps anything else, but to be reminded every now and then by such knowledgeable people like you lot is always good.
Plus to hear all this history makes me an even more proud owner! Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBrianstown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

I understand about not wanting to overspend on components. I am very frugal with stereo equipment compared to many I know. For years I used second hand vintage turntables that were a less expensive than any component in my system.

I only buy things that are planned purchases well in advance and never put anything on credit. The way I look at things is that when I buy a component, it's something I want to own for a long time, so I'm not jumping from lateral move to lateral move, selling and buying gear, and losing money in the process. Been there done that.

All I can say is that I have had around half a dozen different phono stages here and none of them lasted in my system longer than the GS Reflex which I purchased around 4 years ago now. As for the phono stage costing almost as much as the turntable, that is the situation I'm in and I have no regrets. The only thing that makes the turntable a bit more expensive now are aftermarket upgrades I installed over a year ago. Bottom line is there is no magic number or percentage for spending when putting together a system.

A lot comes down to the individual and what their preferences and priorities are.

FWIW if I were phono stage shopping today with the loaner program, what I would do is try to borrow at least 2 models and test them out in my system. If I liked the more expensive one better, I would just save up for it.

My 2 cents.

That's such a great learning curve and I'm happy you are sharing it with me!

I'm in the middle of my journey and as you, all my components apart from perhaps the interconnections, are all second hand scores from various sources. It is the only way I can afford gear I am happy to listen to and that gives me the sound I like, but as you say, before getting here I made a lot of side steps, I moved backwards a few times especially when it came down to get some speakers (until my current ones, I went through I believe other 4 or 5 in less than two years) and I'm always trying to have a certain balance between the components.

Also as much as a gear head I am, I still like to spend more money into music than gear.

Buying second hand has allowed me to try a few different things and understand what I like in terms of sound reproduction at small incremental investment steps. Buy one second hand pair of speakers, try it for few months, pass it on for pretty much what I bought it for and get something else slightly more expensive. I have also moved on from stuff which I really liked though and lost money in the process as well, plus my system until now is been a constant whirlwind of gear.

I can happily say I'm far from being done though, I'm at my first MC cartridge (High output) and I have a MI on its way to me which is something I've always wanted to try too.

And I agree, if there is something which makes sense upgrading for something far better, rather than settling on something of lesser quality I'd rather save up and go for the better component.
That's why I think I will take advantage of the loaner program. 

Nothing to lose and a lot to be learnt!
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 10:38am
Buying second hand is an excellent way of trying speakers and other equipment without
losing out when moving on to something else. 'Box swapping' new items is very expensive.
There's always the temptation to upgrade or change and the industry probably relies on it
for their livelihood.

When I bought some new speakers a few years ago the dealer advised me to buy the cherry
finish as they sell quicker - anticipating a sell-on at the time of a new purchase Smile

The quality of 2nd hand kit can vary enormously - some has been cared for & some not -
like used records & CDs.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBrianstown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Not a bad RIAA stage in that JVC! The power amp probably lets it down. It uses those power amp modules that were all the rage back then (so did Amstrad). If you're going to try a Communicator, I'd pair it with a line input on the Kandy. Perhaps first use the JVC line out into the Kandy, so making use of the JVC phono stage?

Just getting back at this, I was keen to give this a try, although planning to actually in the future use the JVC as a pre and get either a stereo or two mono valve power amps.

The JVC though has no designated pre-out. Should I come out from the TAPE rec output? Embarrassed
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 8:25am
Yes I would use the tape rec output.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 9:16am
I agree with Jon's last post.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic