FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 repair v Enigma psu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Loafer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loafer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSU1 repair v Enigma psu
    Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:54am
Hello forum members, I wonder if you would be so kind as to give me some advice please. I have a Reflex M and love it, but in a moment of stupidity plugged the PSU1 into another phono stage and now the PSU1 no longer powers the Reflex M. What would you suggest? 

1: Attempt to get it fixed, sending it back to the manufacturer or distributor.
2: Buy a new one
3: Upgrade to an Enigma, I would be interested to know if there will be much improvement in SQ
4: Look at another PSU like an Sbooster for the same cost as an Enigma.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
Man thanks
Matt
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Loafer Loafer wrote:

Hello forum members, I wonder if you would be so kind as to give me some advice please. I have a Reflex M and love it, but in a moment of stupidity plugged the PSU1 into another phono stage and now the PSU1 no longer powers the Reflex M. What would you suggest? 

1: Attempt to get it fixed, sending it back to the manufacturer or distributor.
2: Buy a new one
3: Upgrade to an Enigma, I would be interested to know if there will be much improvement in SQ
4: Look at another PSU like an Sbooster for the same cost as an Enigma.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
Man thanks
Matt

I would not use any third party power supply with your Reflex. You would need to use the contact form to inquire about repair. If you wanted to try the Enigma for yourself you would contact the loan coordinator in your part of the world.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:04pm
I'd endorse David's sound advice and add that I think the Enigma PSU is very good.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:11pm
Check the 3A fuse in your PSU1 power cord. See if replacing it (or use a different power cord) gets it working again. The PSU1 has an internal fuse too but I thought it was self-resetting? I use the Enigma although haven't taken the time to compare it to the standard PSU1.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:21pm
Good tip about trying another 3 amp fused mains lead.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Loafer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Loafer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:06am
Thanks so much for your replies chaps it's been very useful. John Cadman has been quick to pick up on this from GSP audio to see if I can change the internal fuse. I live in Switzerland and the mains cables aren't fused.

One last question seeing as you're in the thread. Having scoured the forum, it seems many are very happy with the enigma PSU for use with their MC carts. I have found one post where the gentleman is happy with the improved SQ on his MM Accession, but no info on if the Enigma would be a worthwhile for someone with a Reflex M.

Any insight would be helpful. 

I have a Reflex M, which I was using with a Nagaoka MP200 cart on a Thorens TD 125, though I'm now using also using Gold note Donatello red which is a high output moving iron (1.8v) on a Lenco L75. 

Many thanks
Matt
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 1:52pm
Outside of use with Graham Slee MC phono stages and the Majestic DAC, it is not certain whether the Enigma offers an improvement over the standard PSU1 with other devices. This is why the loan scheme exists though, so that comparisons in your own home can be carried out to determine real-world performance.

The Enigma should either be the same or better.

Edited by Ash - 22 Nov 2022 at 1:55pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic