FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Theremin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Theremin
    Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:53am
The Theremin

(and Permission Spying)

It used to be called permission marketing, but future kids will absolutely love what it leads to...

...not

and

...or else!

I must admit to being normal. I'm just as blind to what's going on behind the scenes as anybody else, and that's because I'm not a criminal, like you're not.

But using crypto currency I could buy hacking software off the web, and what's more, it's user rated in exactly the same way as eBay etc, so you know you're not going to be ripped off!

Once purchased and installed, I can set up gambling accounts and direct the pay-out to a crypto currency account, but the clever bit is that I'd be buying each gamble using your bank account!

And that's exactly what happened to my personal bank account last year.

Now, they didn't pick on me because I'm rich - because I'm not rich - my account is usually overdrawn, and I have to be disciplined not to dip into the company funds because I'm not a start-up whizz kid, and somebody would find me out and I'd have to pay a whole lot of tax.

No, they have what's called algorithms and vast computing power hiding behind crypto currency mining. Now, I wasn't supposed to know this, and perhaps the crypto currencies don't realise it...

But those algorithms connect to online banking in a way that doesn't look suspicious, it just looks like it's a real person making the odd mistake when trying to log in.

But when they do get in, they're also quite careful, and gradually make payments that look like yours - a case of "I see no ships".

And then, suddenly, it happens!

But the kindly folk at Visa, and here I mean the part of Visa that looks like MI5 or the CIA, give you your money back. Not only that, but they give you a little more, but when you ask your bank why, they never answer you. It just seems like Visa are saying thank you for the lead.

And I always wondered why, but then I watched program 1:1 of the series "The Secret Genius of Modern Life" called "Bank Card", where Hanna Fry explains all.

While on the subject of Fry, another by a similar name, Fried, seems to have been making billions though crypto currency and duping investors, while having orgies and not doing proper accounts. I guess that's legal in the US. You just drop out of school and with no education and set up a multi-billion dollar crypto mining company. But, according to the very same BBC, there was no wrong doing. Really?

So, where is all this leading? How is Visa and their competing card brands going to make us all secure?

I think program 1:2 "Food Delivery App" gives us a clue.

Plus

But for our own good?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 4:48pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 8:56pm
Ah, I now understand the link between Theremin and RFID! Fascinating bit of technological history brought up to date with personal data security. Look forward to learning about Greggs contribution to science in the second episode.

Edited by Mikeh - 21 Nov 2022 at 9:34am
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:18pm
I suspect a number of organisations use the manufacturer's hex card number as a userid with more than temporary room access. Thank heavens for ethical hackers.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic