FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

cartridge match advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 2:26pm
They do make glass platter mats so I can't see there being any problems. I have not had any problems with static with my leather mat but I do know that it can be a problem. You can get acrylic platter mats, There are also Rubber & cork combination mats, these mats are said to offer high levels of static prevention, sound dampening and vibration absorption. The most popular mats are made of cork. The trouble with platter mats is, what works for someone may not work for others ie the sound, as all mats are going to have an effect on the sound you are going to get from your record playing.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 6:30pm
It's worth trying without a mat to find out if you like the sound.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 11:09pm
The tough part about suggesting a cartridge is that everyone has different tastes and priorities. Almost any high output cartridge suited for a medium mass arm (I think that's what you have) will work with the GA2SE. So you really just have to narrow the choices and decide what you like best.

Re: mats, I've never used a glass platter so I can't really suggest the best mat. Usually I would go with whatever the manufacturer suggests.

IME any mat can generate static - because the very act of playing a record involves friction. The best cure for static is to get at the source, which is usually air that is too dry. An easy thing to try is turning the thermostat down slightly, and no socks on carpet. Some folks that live in very dry environments will use a humidifier in conjunction with a hydrometer, or even an anti-static floormat.

Good luck.

Edited by patientot - 18 Nov 2022 at 11:10pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 9:32am
I agree with patientot - the arm is medium mass, so it should work well with many cartridges.
Just stay away from high compliance ones.

It should work well with something like the AT-VM95ML https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/cartridges/type/moving-magnet/at-vm95ml
I have one and it does a good job.

I used a Deflex Platter Mat when I was running a Systemdek IIX - I found that the added mass of the mat improved rotational stability.
When I bought the deck it had a felt mat, which I didn't get on with.
I'd experiment with rubberised mats
Vinyl Reader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 5:01pm
Thank you for your advice everyone;So time has passed and I am finally ready to upgrade my AT VM95E.
Systemdek IIX RB250 arm with Michell technoweight & VTA adjuster.(cork/rubber mat)Origin Live DC motor & ultra speed control.GS communicator 2+ PSU. Naim Nait 5i. Monitor Audio GS10.

Budget:400€

NAGAOKA MP200 
GOLDRING 1042
AUDIO TECHNICA VM750SH
GRADO Gold 3

From what I can gather the phono amp is lean,Amp neutral light on bass thump but defined.These statements please contradict etc; I listen to rock blues jazz acoustic and world little classical. Warm cartridges Grado Goldring , Punchy Nagaoka, AT clinical detailed ???????

Thank you for time 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 5:27pm
If the records are in reasonable condition and clean, the easiest upgrade you can perform is to keep your cartridge body and replace the stylus with a VMN95EN, VMN95ML, or VMN95SH. Of those the ML would be my personal pick. If you don't have a real record cleaning system I would choose one of the others, probably the EN.

Your phono preamp should be dead neutral so if you're getting a "lean" sound it's likely down to some other factor. I do think (subjectively) the VM95s sound a bit better on a slightly heavier arm though an 11g arm like a Rega arm should theoretically be fine. I don't know anything about your speakers, room acoustics, or the records you are playing. Those can be big factors. FWIW most speakers will have peaks and valleys in the response and folks are often quick to blame these things on the cartridge.

I am personally not a fan of Grado cartridges but a lot of people like them.

The AT 4 coil designs like the VM500 and 700 series really need careful loading (both resistance and capacitance) to get a neutral-ish sound. Otherwise they will be tipped up by +3dB or more at 10K or so. Many aren't willing to make loading plugs and the like so they should avoid these cartridges. The AT VM95s are a totally different design and don't have this problem.

The Nagaoka should work fine on your arm. Not my personal favorite, but again very popular. They have gotten fairly expensive in recent years.

The 1042 is considered a classic cartridge in many circles but I didn't love mine and moved on from it. You might like it though. Also commonly paired with medium mass arms and GS gear.

My 2 cents.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Vinyl Reader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:32pm
Thank you all for your advice ! I have chosen a Goldring 1042 because the quality of the stylus and a good price (378€) Furthermore I am guessing this cartridge will be a better match for my Gram amp2 and Nait5i. Should I be thinking of upgrading the arm to an Audiomods Classic III tonearm (£695) or a better GS phonostage:Reflex (£695).I am curious as to what you think is the weak point in my system ? a cheaper option would be an Incognito re-wire. I have read that I may have upgraded the cartridge beyond the capacity of my set up to fully realise the cartridges potential. Thank you for time, much appreciated.🙏

Edited by Vinyl Reader - 28 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic