FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ultimate GS Phono Stage for LOMC.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
qwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate GS Phono Stage for LOMC.
    Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 10:02am
Newbie Here.

I'm looking for the ultimate Graham Slee Phono stage solution for LOMC cartridges (No budgetary constraints).

So you get the picture, my TT is a DIY PTP6 Lenco idler drive, with original Mission 774 arm and Van Den Hul ONE Special, cartridge. The later outputs 0.75mV and has an internal resistance of 9ohm (good current).

I'm using an Aqvox 2Ci II Phono stage.
This is a current mode (transimpedance) phono stage. I take its balanced output to my Schiit Freya+ tubed Pre Amp.

The Aqvox is a Pro Audio tool deigned for studio work, it is highly detailed, dead quite, has good tone (to my liking) and a neutral (flat) response. But I find it somewhat boring, it lacks the dynamic swings to fully portray large orchestral works, or modern electronic music for that matter. My semi active speakers use 12" sealed bass, driven by a 700w class D amp and are capable of huge extension, so not the weak link. My digital set up is testament to that.

So you see my dilemma!
As I see it there are multiple options, but I only want the ultimate solution based on sound quality.
Not being familiar with any of the top flight models, I could do with some basic guidance before trying the loaner program.

So my questions/assumptions are:

That the Accession MM is better than than the Reflex M, either unit used with Enigma PSU? I wouldn't need all the controls on the Accession, its all about the sound quality. Note I already have an Elevator EXP and PSU1 to use with either of these.

A). This Accession MM+Enigma /Elevator+PSU1 pairing would be one solution. Adding second Enigma later.

B). The other option would be just to use an Accession MC+ Enigma PSU.

So which would be the best option for ultimate sound quality A or B?

Or is there an alternative, I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by qwin - 16 Oct 2022 at 10:25am
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 10:23am
Ken,
No need to wonder which is best, try them out at home for a week or so courtesy of the Loan Scheme. All it costs is the postage to and from you. Contact John C to arrange. Phone number at the bottom of the page or PM him. By the way, I'd go for the Accession MC + Enigma.

Happy listening,
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
qwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 10:36am
Hi Ian
So I could loan an Accession MC + Enigma and an Accession MM + Enigma at the same time?

With the long warm up period, I would need the two PSU's, to make any kind of side by side comparison.

If I preferred the  Accession MM + my Elevator, I could always try hooking up the second Enigma supply to the Elevator.

This would be the ultimate comparison for me, I suppose I can only ask.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 10:46am
Hi Ken,
A conversation with John C beckons, I'm not aware of what's currently available for loan.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 6:57pm
Thanks Ian.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
qwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 6:32pm
Can someone tell me how to contact John Cadman?
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 7:04pm
Send a forum message to John C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic