FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Paul Billington View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Billington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker recommendations
    Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 4:40pm
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum.
I'm now the proud owner of a full rack of graham's gear proprius, majestic,
accession and solo ultra linear.
I feel the weak link in my system is now my speakers whi h are monitor audio bronze 2, although I love them it's time for an upgrade.
I've watched loads of reviews and my head is just a mush now so looking for recommendations.
My room is 4.5m x 4.5 m and my speakers have to be 12 inches from the wall but also three feet higher than they should be, not ideal I know but that's how it has to be.
Looking to spend between £1000 - £1500.
Any help is much appreciated. Paul
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 5:28pm
If you are okay to DIY, Alpair 10P is a fantastic speaker driver that does Graham's electronics justice.

If you want a pre-made product, I would consider something like Cesti MBR.

Well-engineered products.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Paul Billington View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Billington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 5:36pm
thanks Ash. Not really into DIY but I'll take a look.
Had been looking at alot of speakers but didn't really know whether to go front ported, rear ported or closed box.
I do like a bit of bass. Mainly rock, thrash metal 
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 6:04pm
If in doubt as to what is suitable for your listening space and listening distance, buy a DIY driver pair with some budget speaker cable and mount them in double-walled cardboard boxes to get an idea of what sound is possible. DIY speakers like this have tremendous performance to price ratio and if you don't like them, selling is easy and shipping smaller drivers isn't too expensive. Then just try another speaker. It's good fun.

I have a pair of CHR-120 drivers and they are VERY capable full-rangers; quite large and very reasonably priced. If you want bass, you've come to the right place!

Edited by Ash - 14 Oct 2022 at 6:09pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:05pm
Paul, my suggestion would be to talk to any local dealers to check what they suggest for demonstration as only your ears can determine the right sound. A decent dealer should  be able to offer a home trial or at least 'sale or return'.  There are so many good speakers available in your price range, it would be difficult to make any recommendations.  You have quite a large room to fill and if you like metal / trash at volume then you will need some fairly efficient speakers to pair with Proprius. Dealers would be able to give some.options for demo and take some of your style.of music to check what you like. 
Best of luck, enjoy the selection process and let.us know how.ypu get on

Mike
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:08pm
Have you tried MA Silver? The floor standers have good bass and clear sound 
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:20pm
Speakers are a very personal choice and room/listener matching is key. A square room is especially problematic due to standing waves. Reviewers usually listen to audiophilia-du-jour in treated rooms with ample speaker positioning choices and have no idea how Megadeth is going to sound in this particular special situation.

A few questions:

What is it you like about your current speakers, and what do you expect/want from an upgrade?

What do they sit on? I would have guessed stands, but "3 feet higher than usual" seems hard to reconcile with this. Tall stands? Wall mounts maybe? A deep shelf?

Also with "3 feet higher than usual" - does the possibility exist to angle the speaker downward such that the extended centreline of the tweeter is roughly directed at the listening position? (Wedges, adjustable wall mounts etc)

Where is the listening position relative to the speakers, or do you have no particular/lots of listening positions?

12 inches from the wall - would that be the rear wall, behind the speakers? What about distance from the side walls? 

Are the walls masonry or plasterboard? 

Is the floor concrete or is it boarded (perhaps if upstairs?) Carpeted?

Do you listen at low, moderate, or high volumes? (I know Slayer sounds best at stadium levels but not everybody wants that all the time...)

Is using a subwoofer an option? Depending on the above questions, an active sub may well be the easiest way to achieve deep bass with less boom in this situation, and give a highly useful point of adjustment to smooth out the room modes. But there are downsides - greater complexity, slightly imperfect timing, plus they're an ideological no-no for some people.

Edited by discrete badger - 14 Oct 2022 at 7:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic