FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Streamers - Advice needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streamers - Advice needed!
    Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:51pm

Help! Owing to computer problems I had to update my Apple iMac Pro to the latest system software  ‘Monterey’.  As a result my much-loved, long-term streaming device (the Logitech Sqeezebox Touch) has finally become defunct. The problem being it’s age and a lack of compatible software.

My VERY extensive music library is stored on an external hard-drive which plays through the new ‘Apple Music’ app. I am now desperately looking to replace the Squeezebox Touch with some other great-sounding streamer. I know some people on the forum have made one based on the Raspberry Pi but as I am disabled this would not be possible for me. 

Can anyone suggest a quality streamer that would work through my ‘Majestic’ DAC/Pre-amp from an Apple device? Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:22pm
Hi Phil, I hope you’re keeping well. The Raspberry Pi option only requires two things to be pushed together and put in a case. The software is on a miniSD card inserted in the Pi. If pouring the birds together is the problem, I’m sure one of us could do it for you.

Edited by ICL1P - 11 Oct 2022 at 4:24pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 8:33pm
Sadly due to huge demand and lack of supply at the current time, Raspberry Pi boards are not readily available at the usual low prices. Scalpers are profiteering by selling at high prices. I still need to have a play with the Pi2AES Lite before I recommend it.

I think Squeezebox OS is available to install on single board computers. Hopefully for both x86 and ARM-based processors, depending on which ISA the computer uses.

You have a 5V 3A linear PSU already that you can implement? Many streamers use 12V, potentially making the 5V supply redundant. 

Edited by Ash - 11 Oct 2022 at 8:41pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:18pm
Phil, I use a Limetree Bridge for all streaming services which might be worth a look. Physically the Bridge is very similar design to GS equipment, about the same size & shape as a Novo headamp. The Bridge provides digital output to connect to the Majestic, using the Maj's dac. I find it simple to operate with the provided app, streaming files stored on a NAS or from streaming service (e.g. Qobuz). The price seems to have gone up since  I bought mine a couple of years ago. I got mine from Igloo Audio who were very helpful and seemed to be knowledgeable about the Bridge.

Like everything there are many other options!
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Sadly due to huge demand and lack of supply at the current time, Raspberry Pi boards are not readily available at the usual low prices. Scalpers are profiteering by selling at high prices. I still need to have a play with the Pi2AES Lite before I recommend it.

I think Squeezebox OS is available to install on single board computers. Hopefully for both x86 and ARM-based processors, depending on which ISA the computer uses.

You have a 5V 3A linear PSU already that you can implement? Many streamers use 12V, potentially making the 5V supply redundant. 

Hi Ash.
I have been looking for a new version of the Logitech media server that will work with the latest Apple system software. It would be really fantastic if you. (or anyone else) knows where one can be obtained. The Squeezebox touch is a good clean server even though it must be over 10 years old by now. I was running system 7.4 with ‘Big Sur’ but with ‘Monterey, it no longer seems to work. I would be really grateful if any member can send me a link that might solve this problem.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Mikeh Mikeh wrote:

Phil, I use a Limetree Bridge for all streaming services which might be worth a look. Physically the Bridge is very similar design to GS equipment, about the same size & shape as a Novo headamp. The Bridge provides digital output to connect to the Majestic, using the Maj's dac. I find it simple to operate with the provided app, streaming files stored on a NAS or from streaming service (e.g. Qobuz). The price seems to have gone up since  I bought mine a couple of years ago. I got mine from Igloo Audio who were very helpful and seemed to be knowledgeable about the Bridge.

Like everything there are many other options!

Many thanks,
This sounds interesting I will have to try and google it to find out more.I have been looking at a Bluesound Node but I have found it difficult to set up with my system. According to all the reviews I have read it is supposed to be easy, but I must be doing something wrong!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 1:35pm
In many cases a small, basic laptop hooked up to a USB DAC is going to be easier to use than any dedicated streaming device.

Not a fan of proprietary software and streamer boxes as they always seem to have problems eventually. A couple of years ago some guy blew up his speakers using one of those Bluesound things. User error - but they don't make these things intuitive to use.

The DIY stuff is great but assumes the user is going to spend some time setting things up and troubleshooting. Not always straightforward either.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic