FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Foobar 2000 Order of Play

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 3:35pm
Just as I leave my last post I'm now having trouble with my computer. GREAT
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:21pm
OK.
The important bit is to define the location where you want to store things.
If you do not define the filepath you end up with the haphazard method of ripping you've described in the past.

Look at the filepathfor my files ... it's the bit marked path

\\NSA310\music is a place on my network, so all the rips go to that location, with the properties shown in the naming field.
This is a constant, so I never have to hunt for the containing folders and the stored files.
The files always go to \\NSA310\music, and appear in the artist folder that gets created when you send the first rip there.

You will need to be consistant with the artist name - if you have a folder with The Beatles, and then rip the next CD you rip as Beatles, another artist folder gets created because there is no "The", which makes things more awkward to find for playback.

Edited by Chris Firth - 03 Sep 2022 at 4:22pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:25pm
Foobar is something I've been using a long time and my computer audio player of choice. That said it does have some quirks. One of the ways I was able to get it to be more user friendly is by downloading someone else's skin and config. That person made an instruction manual for setting up and operating the player in his config which helped immensely. Even so I discover new quirks and features with the program all the time. There are tons of plug-ins for the program.

Where I ran into trouble is when the developer of the config stopped being able to update the skin/config. As Foobar updated its software and plugin developers updated their plugins, I ran into some issues. Some of those issues I was able to resolve and others I could not. It still works better (for me) and my large music collection than other alternatives so I stick with it.

If I was a brand new user or not very patient I might use something else. I used to use JRiver, for example, and a lot of people like that program. When they run a discount it is not too expensive and I think you can still get a free trial. There are also programs like MusicBee that are pretty popular.

For CD ripping I use dBPoweramp and have moved over it from EAC for about 4-5 years now. I think it's a great program.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:30pm
I generally do not play music from computer, but when I do I really like and use Foobar.
Foobar is a very powerful tool and media player, but not one for those that enjoy flashy gizmos.

The vast majority of the time I play music via the Squeezebox Touch, controlled by LMS on a Raspberry Pi.

Edited by Chris Firth - 03 Sep 2022 at 4:32pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:32pm
Here's a screenshot of my config. This is how I sort the files for playback. Usually it's automatic if they are properly tagged.

Now, certain types of file tagging can really throw things off. Foobar has a built in tagger or you can import a plug-in that will do the job.

However, a much better solution, IME, is the free MP3Tag program.

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

With this program you can customize tags any way you want, though it does take some experimentation to figure out all the features. For song naming, if you tag the songs as something like "01 - Artist Name - Track Title", that will solve track playback order problems on a lot of programs/devices. Important thing is the number be in that format "01, 02, 03, etc."
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:44pm
My bad. I have just read this article a bit more closely and it seems Graham's needs are more to do with playing digital more that ripping. dBpoweramp is a ripper and converter.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:52pm
Graham's playback issues came about directly because of poor file tagging, which starts at the ripping stage.
Get the file tagging and library location and structure sorted out form the off and everything works swimmingly well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic