FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Focal Elegia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:55pm
OK beginning to get it now. So really you're suggesting keeping it as simple as possible - 
I'll have a few options - 

Smartphone - (Mp3 / Flac / Wav) - Voyager - Elegia (very mobile) 
Laptop - (Mp3 / Flac / Wav) - Bitzie - Elegia (fairly mobile)
PC - (Mp3 / Flac / Wav) - Bitzie + Lautus + PSU - Elegia (static digital)

For the living room I have a P******t Debut III with an Ortofon Red going into a Onkyo 9010 into Focal Aria 906's - the Solo SRGII would allow me to have a dedicated Headphone output? while I work back and presumably look to go Majestic + Proprius into Aria 906 and think about something like a Rega 3 into a Era Gold V? 
Hang on tightly, let go lightly.

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:25pm
Only thing I would add onto the Bitzie is Proprius if driving speakers. I wouldn't personally bother with a separate headamp; I'd just buy a better headphone if not satisfied. That's just me, I might not be right. If I wanted to take Bitzie to the max, I would do this:

Computer> Pink Faun PCIe USB soundcard + Slee DAK 5V supply > Lautus PowerWire + Slee DAK 5V supply > Bitzie DAC/preamp > MySphere 3.1/3.2 (or Lautus phono-XLR>2xProprius>Mark Audio CHR-120)

Evil Smile
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:27pm
Robbie
 Keeping it simple IMO is best because if you don't get it right first time sound wise there is too many variables and it will start to get expensive.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:36pm
You don't need a lot for fantastic sound quality. Simplify where you can and preserve signal integrity from the earliest opportunity.
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:04pm
Sorry, I think I've confused the issue. I've come at this in a way slightly unusual to most. I've had a GS Voyager for years and also a DAK Novo and DAK Genera so I recognise the Graham Slee sound while not going completely audiophile. I gave up smoking after 35 years, 4 weeks ago today and I've been giving myself some treats. 2 weeks ago it was a Bitzie, 1 weeks ago a pair of Focal Elegia's and today for being a good boy I found a GS Solo SRGII with a PSU1. 
The majority of my working day is either spent in an IT lab where I'll be joined at the hip to a laptop or if I'm at home joined at the hip to my main PC in my home office / games room attic. I'm fairly confident that a std USB Type C to Type B (0.5m) will suffice for main office / lab work. My main PC however is also my editing machine for my photographic endeavours and also my VR setup so I'm quite happy to have a static Lautus Power cable hanging off it. I might have a question separately for Ash as to why I might need a separate PCIe to USB card to feed Bitzie with data? 
Where I confused the issue was wondering if Bitzie + Solo => Elegia and Ash answered that perfectly. However I also do have an analog system in the living room which might benefit from a refresh in the source and amplification department. The Solo can stay in there for times when I'm not allowed to listen to Deep Purple at neighbourhood unfriendly volumes.
So I think I've sorted my listening via Headphones in a mobile / static manner :), now I'm planning the best way to make my Focal Aria's sing with my vinyl collection and possibly the TV and Xbox which would make the Majestic an obvious candidate alongside a duo of Proprius. 

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 5:57am
Using the PCIe interface of a computer, you can access the datastream of the CPU directly and combine it with improved voltage regulation, low electronic noise, a better clock and a power supply separate from the PC. This can only improve a DAC's ability to perform.
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 9:52am
So its a €400+ filter? :D

I'm looking at my main PC, the motherboard is an Asus Crosshair VIII with a Ryzen R9 5950X powered by a Seasonic Prime 1000W Platinum PSU (arguably one of the better PSU's out there - with best in business ripple suppression and voltage regulation) and I know that 4 of the 12 USB ports on the back are directly connected to the CPU. The motherboard is also interesting in that the power delivery to the CPU is overkill with over specced VRMs so the CPU has a very stable and clean power delivery.

So my question is this, surely a USB port with a direct trace back to the CPU will have a cleaner data flow than an add in card that needs to handle the physical layer of the PCIe connection, filter the power from the MB, transverse through a Southbridge (as invariably a PCIe x4 lane is driven from a Southbridge) to reach the CPU and then resolve any micro / nano timing differences and then also handle the return and any extra noisy influences like BLE cards, Raid cards that will also be demanding time on the PCIe bus?

Edited by robbiec - 19 Jul 2022 at 9:54am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic