FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Focal Elegia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focal Elegia
    Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 12:49am
I seem to have a liking for Focal products, in the living room I have a pair of Focal Aria 906's, in the office a pair of Focal 706V's and I have a pair of Focal Elegia closed back headphones on the way. To drive these I have a GS Voyager (typically driving a pair of AKG headphones) and I recently picked up a GS Bitzie to sit between computers and incoming Elegia's.

Does anyone have experience of these headphones and could perhaps suggest a suitable Headphone Amp from Mr Slee's range? 
Hang on tightly, let go lightly.

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 1:56pm
I've taken a punt and picked up a Solo SRGII with PSU1 to power it. Hopefully it and the Elegia will gel. 

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by robbiec robbiec wrote:

I've taken a punt and picked up a Solo SRGII with PSU1 to power it. Hopefully it and the Elegia will gel. 

I don't think your going to be unhappy with it, this little headphone amp will work with almost any headphone. Don't forget to burn them in, I found that out, as straight out of the box they didn't sound good at all but after around three day both headphones and amp sounded well better the difference was night and day and they got better over the coming weeks.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:27pm
Sorry Robbie. I didn't respond earlier to say any of the Solo models are really good and the green is a good move with rising energy costs. Happy listening!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 7:47pm
35 Ohm impedance and 105dB/mW electrical sensitivity; Solo SRGII or ULDE is fine for such a load.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 8:23pm
Thanks all for your replies, appreciate it. The next few days and weeks will be fun for my ears I hope.
I have a separate power supply coming for the Bitzie / Lautus. Elegia should arrive at some stage this week followed by the Solo. Would I be correct in thinking that Dell XPS into Bitzie via Lautus / 5V PSU into Focal Elegia will be pretty good assuming the source digital files are of good quality. I should expect a potential step up if I go XPS - Bitzie - Solo - Elegia? 

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:18pm
Depending on the load but, in most cases, I highly doubt adding a Solo onto the Bitzie will provide any real benefit at all. Been there; tried that, with high impedance loads. The Bitzie contains a very capable headphone amplifier for the 5V. A higher purity power supply for the DAC would be a better choice than additional amplification IMO. Better yet, if you have a computer with PCIe slot access (Dell laptop probably has an M.2 slot for an NVMe SSD) then with an adapter cable, you could connect a PCIe USB soundcard with its own dedicated 5V supply to the computer and feed the Bitzie a super pure signal via Lautus PowerWire using same supply for Bitzie. Perhaps ignore the last suggestion as it isn't tidy.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic