FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bi-Wire speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by discrete badger discrete badger wrote:

From my experience, having experimented with this, your shop is offering very good advice.

Jon, I would agree with discrete badger's reply and your dealer on this. I once bi-wired a pair of KEF floorstanders I used to own. The result was spectacularly awful, as if out of phase. At first I thought I must have made a lash-up of the connections, but I hadn't. I soon returned them to single wiring.

My present speakers have no facility to bi-wire. I don't know if others would agree, but it's my impression from reading reviews that fewer speakers offer the facility to do so these days.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:32pm
Not forgetting that inductor-less output amplifiers change phase and gain margins with long high capacitance speaker cables, and so with two lots they're bound to give a different sound.

Some could even blow Shocked
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 8:41am
To be honest I wouldn't know. It just happened this way using the Spatia, and that's how it's stayed ever since.
[/QUOTE]
I was going to try it out as I thought I had my old cables but I haven't.
I was talking to mate last night on this subject. He found Bi-Wiring works with his new speakers but had tried it out on the old ones and he said it made no difference, he also said he had used the same cable to bridge his old speakers and the results were vary good.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 8:50am
Originally posted by TheScorpionsTale TheScorpionsTale wrote:

My present speakers have no facility to bi-wire. I don't know if others would agree, but it's my impression from reading reviews that fewer speakers offer the facility to do so these days.

Agreed. And, notably, all of the best speakers that I have heard here have only offered a single pair of connectors. Bi-wiring was only possible on a few models at the (shall we say?) more value-orientated end of the market.

The LS50, as discussed elsewhere, is a good case-in-point. IMO it is in a different class to many "value-orientated" speakers I have heard in the past. It is not bi-wirable. No amount of bi-wiring (or even bi-amping) on less well-designed speakers is going to get equally good results, but bi-amping is likely to be more expensive.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 11:30am
I have heard a system with & with out Bi-amping and there was an improvement with two amps but saying that it was not big and the cost of the 2nd amp was well into four figures and the man demoing the system said to us that Bi-wiring would probably get you near not by much, to the improvements that it made, when asked would you get an improvement on a system costing a lot less than this set up he said on a more budget friendly set up you were better off bi-wiring but as with bi-amping not all speakers respond well to it, he said that he had heard speakers that to his ears sounded worse with bi-wiring. The demo was worth the few hour that I was there as I leant a lot from him as he just didn't demo equipment he showed us how to improve on what we have like speaker placement, stands & racks.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Not forgetting that inductor-less output amplifiers change phase and gain margins with long high capacitance speaker cables, and so with two lots they're bound to give a different sound.

Some could even blow Shocked

Thanks Graham. I need 7 metres to reach my speakers due to the way the room is laid out, so doubling up probably wasn't helpful.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:23pm
I found my MA Gold speakers sounded better bi-wired for about 4m but then decided to move the amps close to their respective speaker and I used 1m cables.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic