FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bi-Wire speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bi-Wire speakers
    Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 2:21pm
I was just reading up on whether to bi-wire your speaker or not. The last time I up graded my cables the shop said I would hear a bigger difference if I spent more on  better cables than bi-wire my speakers with my existing cable. I also asked if I needed to buy the same cable to bridge the speaker terminals to which they replied they didn't think it was necessary to do so (they do sell bridging cables) I took their advice and got better cables and didn't bother with bridging cables.
What's your thoughts on this subject as there seems a lot for and against bi-Wiring, There seemed to be more for spending the same money on better cables. After the turntable up grade the next up grade will be a pair GS speaker cables.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:00pm
From my experience, having experimented with this, your shop is offering very good advice.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:31pm
After years of experimenting with speaker cables, I eventually settled on the Spatia design, so named because it gave me the spatial impression I'd always wanted.

Then came John C and Leo suggesting I use links made from the same cable, and I turned round at them and said the B-word, complete with exclamation marks!!!

I had found absolutely no difference whatever I used: gold plated solid links, tri-rated wire, mains wiring wire, all the multi-stranded stuff, just about anything that would conduct.

So, I said, "go on then, but there won't be any difference at all", repeating that it was all a load of (B-word again) for such a short few inches of connecting wire. I mean, I thought they were taking the (P-word).

So they connected the two sets of terminals on the back of my LS3/5a's using offcuts of the Spatia internal cores, which they incidentally had marked the direction (more B-word I thought).

I played a few different tracks and turned round at them and said (the F-word) off! Why? Because they were right.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 7:16pm
Basically the link is just an extension of the cable so its direction should matter even though the length is short.

It would be like taking a length of Spatia cable, cutting a small section off the end, turning it the other way, soldering it on and then expecting it to sound identical to the original.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 7:24pm
I must admit I did have one set of speakers Bi-Wired but never single wired them to see if there was any difference same thing with bridging cables never tried it, I was only going on the advice I was given which at the time seemed good. From what I was reading from others experiences with Bi-Wiring it all depends on what speakers you are using as some did say they got good results from one but made no difference with others. The debate on bridging was even bigger and again seemed speaker dependant. As for Bi-Wiring the common ground was if you had a set budget you were better off spending it on better single cables than spitting your budget on two sets of cables for each speaker. This leads me to think, you have to experiment and see if it works for your speakers OR not.
What you found Graham was interesting, do you think that any speaker cable for bridging will do or does it have to be the same cable your using to connect your speakers from the amp? 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

What you found Graham was interesting, do you think that any speaker cable for bridging will do or does it have to be the same cable your using to connect your speakers from the amp? 

To be honest I wouldn't know. It just happened this way using the Spatia, and that's how it's stayed ever since.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 9:59pm
On bi-wiring it will depend on your system but four decent cables will cost more than two obviously. I recommend the Spatia cables and the Spatia links, and they sound even better if you run the arrows from source pointing towards the speakers.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic