FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audio Nirvana?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Nirvana?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 10:30am
I've struggled to get my little MA Gold 50 speakers sounding right in the small listening space. The rear port needed more room than possible. Even filling the port with the supplied foam bungs and supplementing the bass with a pair of REL tx5 subs left me with an uninvolving sound stage. I've been itching to listen to ls3/5 type mini monitors, so when some ex-demo pairs came up at a local dealer, I thought I'd give them a listen. I was able to compare similar Harbeth, Spendor and Falcon models. To my ears, the Harbeth P3ESRXDs came out best for overall sound quality, so a deal was done and I came away smiling.
I've now got them set up and the subs tuned in. What a difference, the pin point placement of instruments is outstanding. All this talk about '3D holographic sound', I get it! 
So is this audio Nirvana? I don't know but as SWMBO says, 'it'll see you out'.  I did get a copy of Nirvana Unplugged recently and this is just typical of the best sound. The theatre ambience is captured,  the players can be placed on the stage and the acoustic instruments are so realistic. Fantastic.

As below, the P3s fit nicely, fed by the Proprious mounted on the speaker stand and short cable to the subs. Shame about the radiator placement but not much I can  do about that.

Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:24pm
Mike
You could paint the radiatorEvil Smile
There wouldn't much enjoyment listening to your music in the freezing cold.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:06pm
Are your speaker stands made by Mission, they look like the ones I use to have.
Have you thought of boxing the radiator in, you will have to allowfor heat to come out of the top and slots down the front for the same reason, A mate has done it and the slots at the front are just big enough to let heat out but small so you can't see the rad.
Radiators always seem to be in the way, an eye sore or both.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:37pm
Congratulations Mike!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Are your speaker stands made by Mission, they look like the ones I use to have.
Have you thought of boxing the radiator in, you will have to allowfor heat to come out of the top and slots down the front for the same reason, A mate has done it and the slots at the front are just big enough to let heat out but small so you can't see the rad.
Radiators always seem to be in the way, an eye sore or both.

Jon, yes they are Mission stands. Not expensive and the pair of small rear legs just happen to be the spaced at the right width to mount the Proprious, so prove ideal.

Will have to think about boxing in the rad. Might just quieten it down when heating on....not just at the moment when we have a few days of summer weather.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 2:15pm
I thought they were I had a pair, They were good, but new speakers (MA silver 100) said I had to replace them as when the speakers were on top it was a bit top heavy. My new stands have a bigger top & base plate and are a lot more stable. If I can remember rightly you can fill them with sand or something (the back 2 legs), have you done this? I liked them as you could put the cables through the main leg, it tidy things up. If you get round to boxing the rad in I've been told MDF board is the best material to use why I can't remember.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic