FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

UPS Experiences/recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 1:04pm
I've got Raspberry Pi based media server, Arduino nano, hi-fi, router  etc running 24/7 . We get power outs moderately frequently but no equipment failures so far. I suspect your problems have more to do with your power supply designs. You may be seeing issues due to device latch-up
Inspire Apollo tt, O/L modded RB250, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Different Approach inspired Phono, Putzeys Pre, Cusat, Raspberry Pi/Volumio, Bitzie, Self Load Invariant Power, Acoustic Energy AE509s
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by peterb peterb wrote:

The component failures I have had seem to be related to the spikes associated to the failing supply as it disappears. I hear my setup trying to turn on/off/on/off. Not sure what device would protect from that other than a UPS.  
That's different I thought it was when the power was coming back on, bear in mind how quick a UPS kicks in, you would have to find a UPS with a very quick responds time. From what I have been reading they seem to be very noisy even when not in use, so this may affect the sound quality. The one my mate was using was an old one but with new batteries and it was very noisy, I asked him if he thought it would affect the sound from his HiFi and he said most definitely. One thing you could do is add a mains conditioner after the UPS unit.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 3:28pm
I think I might have found a solution on Rod Elliot's excellent website.

It is DIY a veroboard solution, but seems to fit the bill because it uses a normally open relay for the Mains In/Out to the load. If the Mains voltage varies outside the settings the relay opens.

I will investigate further.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic