FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:32pm
Graham, thank you for sharing your expertise on this and for making it so clear. I can tell from the hi-fi magazines that some learn, reflect, and educate whereas others are simply lifestyle magazines.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jrhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 3:52pm
Many thanks Graham. I'd be interested to know where you'd place Hi-Fi News, since you've already mentioned some others. I note that they like your Fanfare and also that they have commented that they usually test an item over several days. 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by jrhughes jrhughes wrote:

Many thanks Graham. I'd be interested to know where you'd place Hi-Fi News, since you've already mentioned some others. I note that they like your Fanfare and also that they have commented that they usually test an item over several days. 

I must have not read that review. Several days doesn't tell me much. With today's made over there components often sounding catastrophic until fully burned-in a circuit needs 4 weeks before I will give it the go-ahead. Often we've ditched complete component ranges which have wasted too much of my life. You'd at least hope they'd recognise what we go through to give so much to the customer, but I'm afraid to say that Mr PM is always in a hurry - too much of a hurry to risk all our hard work on. So if his staff reviews any of our products they did it behind my back.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
jrhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 7:43pm
Just to clarify, if they gave it a full review I've not seen it either (but then I don't get every issue by a long shot). I've seen them mention that it's excellent - or words to that effect - during some research so assumed they must have reviewed it at some point. In fact, I was quite disappointed that in all the (admittedly sporadic) HFNs that I've bought, there has never been a full review of one of your units. Not that I specifically need them to, mind you; I just like reading that stuff.

I guess I was thinking that "several days" may be OK if the review unit is, say, like one of the loan units in that it's had the initial burn-in and just needs the few days to warm up again after a power off. But if the plan is to supply a new one with little notice, then yes, quite understandable that a few days isn't enough. 

(I'm listening to my new Solo UL whilst writing this. It's been powered on for 30 hours now and I still think it sounds fantastic. I know it will change over the next couple of weeks or more as my Novo did once I left it on, seemingly going though great -> ok -> excellent)
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 8:35pm
It's about the only one I read regularly and I can't recall a GSP review in the last couple of years either.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
SteveB1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 11:22pm
Dear All....I have recently joined this Forum and read through this thread several times in the hope I might be following the correct procedure to 'burn in' my Solo SRGII/PSU1.

This unit was bought back in December 2009 and I set up the unit with my Linn Kairn pre-amp using the 'tape loop' connection method - listening then with my Sennheiser HD650s.The quality of the sound was disappointingly poor - it was harsh, shrill and quite underwhelming .... I couldn't listen to it and failed to understand accolades for the Solo.  I thought I had wrongly connected the unit but 'loop in' via the tape output seems to have been the best option using high quality cables.  I was so disappointed with the sound that I rather neglected the unit in favour of my various iPods and less expensive headphones which have given good service and very good quality (@320 kbps).  Ridiculous to have swapped a Linn based system for this and  I know this is considered by many to be sacrilege.

Just recently I thought I'd give the Solo another go with a more recent pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 PROs...but this time I had researched and come across the issue of 'burn in' ..... but not just for the headphones but also for the higher quality headphone amps.

I have spent much time Googling and have now seen further evidence in this Forum thread that the Solo seems to require a very, very,very lengthy period of 'burn-in' and that the unit should also be left 'on' continuously.  Therefore I have been 'burning -in' both headphones and Solo continuously now since last Saturday 27 October with constant play from the DAB Tuner and 'Planet Rock'.    I have since played a few CDs on my Linn Ikemi CD player and it's possible the quality of the sound may have shifted but it still very bright, still harsh (in my opinion) and worryingly lacks bass.   I have also read in the forum, and other online info, that burn in can take well in excess of 300 hours (rather than the 72 hours given in the accompanying instructions) and that bass is the last area to improve.   In fact, I read that one chap had a 'magical experience' just after 12 days of continuous 'burn in' and couldn't beleive it was the same headphone amp!

I have avidly read the previous and valued advice given by Graham Slee who is rightly passionate about his products  and clearly has a thorough technical expertise.  I have no such expertise but I do enjoy my music and frustratingly I continue to wonder (despite the all the foregoing points made) if I am doing something fundamentally wrong or made the wrong type of connection to the pre-amp. I am embarrassed to have stumbled upon this issues so late after the initial purchase of the Solo but I am excited again at the prospect of being able to enjoy music with the DT770 PROS and HD650s and my Linn system.

I would be grateful for any comment, view or steer mindful that I do not have a great technical understanding in this area.  Thanks in anticipation.  Steve 

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 12:31am
Steve,

It shouldn't be like this. Try one or two of your music sources direct into the Solo. Then if it's still the same there is obviously a fault and we will sort it out by extending the warranty cover seeing you've been disappointed. But try other music sources first, and try different interconnects too.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
  Share Topic