FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:14pm
A while back I found that cable direction really can matter, so now I'm a firm believer in that at least. As to cables I understand they change properties insulationwise and so forth so it may not be as far fetched as I before held it to be.
Since I started caring more about quality sound reproduction or true HIFI about a year ago I have found that the most mysterious aspect is hands down the power or electricity bit.  For instance changing the position of a power cord in the wall socket by 180 degrees (I live in Sweden which has two pin mains outlets so this is possible) can have tremendous impact on the sound quality going from slightly boxy and a bit boomy to clear as day.
So the idea of, basically, power or at least current handling interconnects maturing seems absolutely plausable.

Johan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

For instance changing the position of a power cord in the wall socket by 180 degrees (I live in Sweden which has two pin mains outlets so this is possible) can have tremendous impact on the sound quality going from slightly boxy and a bit boomy to clear as day.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we use the old fashioned and completely non-trendy two way figure of 8 PSU1 mains inlet Clap

(which means it has to be class-2 and class-2 means double insulated/no earth)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:09pm
The last two posts inspired me to quickly unplug and replug the mains lead of my PSU1. It does seem less boomy but I may just be listening for the change Johan described above.

Time for some tea and then some more vinyl listening!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 9:39am
As phono stages are, by their nature, very difficult to burn in by playing music through them (unless there is anyone out there using an autochanger for their discs!Shocked), there is a device manufactured by a USA company called a stereo reverse RIAA filter. This enables a CD player to be connected to the phono stage and a CD played on repeat for as long as is necessary to effect burn-in.
The company is Hagerman technologies and their web-site is http://www.hagtech.com

As I am just about to buy a new phono stage, I plan to buy one of these devices (only 49$US) and see if it works.

I'll report back when it's finished and maybe offer to loan or sell this on to another member
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:43pm
Yes, they usually work and at $49 US it's better than DIY for most users.

I've made a few but I don't think I could match that price.

An audio signal is only really necessary to burn in components that are not powered (that do not draw direct current - DC - when switched on) - those only in the signal path or those with zero volts at either end as in dual rail supply equipment. The vast majority of components inside our unipolar supply products intentionally draw DC so the burn in device may not achieve much, but worth a try.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 6:47pm
I used this trick for a phono preamp I had before I discovered GSP, on a preamp with dual supplies:
If you have an iPOD, turn the iPOD volume very low i.e. one bar and use the EQ to cut the bass. Then use a 3.5mm stereo to phono lead. Have a quick listen to check the preamp output isn't too distorted, if it is cut the middle and treble as well. Set it to play all songs and then  do something else for several days.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
wozdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 9:33pm
I have been experiencing some distortion with tracks and after pausing the track for even a few short seconds the distortion disappears. My headphones are a few months old but have never been properly amped and my 3.5mm to phone cable and novo amp are brand fire new I was just wondering if it's the amp needing to burn in or whether it's low quality sound files or worse case knackered headphones. Obviously I'm not asking for a diagnosis but some simple advice on bedding in for amps headphones and cables.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
  Share Topic