FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 6:19pm
Hi
I've had my Solo UL plugged in for about 10 days now and using it a fair amount of hours daily, both listening to music and also just running it through to maybe hasten the burn-in (I sadly have no tuner currently to just leave on for this purpose). And the last few days I have really heard a great improvement in soundstage and detail but I still feel that the bass is a bit restrained and almost a bit weak sometimes. Does anyone recognise this and could tell me if a richer and fuller bass is to be expected after more burn-in time or if my cans are just that midrange to treble oriented with this amp?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 9:47am
10 days is a quarter to a third into the burn-in period. The initial bass is a bit flabby and the electrolytic capacitors responsible for it are now reaching their fully formed condition (the unanodized slit edges of the foils are now becoming coated). However, the metal film resistors require much more time and also the ceramic multilayer capacitors that stabilise the circuit (references available for evidence if required). Film capacitors also require a considerable time to reach their maximum insulation resistance. The resistors and capacitors each have their own temperature coefficients which change with time. It will have reached a much better state within 21 or so days and will continue to improve but by then the changes will not be so apparent.

Some headphones are bass light - some are neutral - some are bass orientated. Most headphones from new will not sound right for a couple of months. I found the AKG 701 took 6 months. The old Sennheiser HD250 II took around three, however, not having the "following" on the forums, its initial sound led to its downfall, whereas the 701 received much forgiveness. The torch and pitchfork brigade tend to rule people's minds.Wink

Headphones seem to respond to warmth - try keeping them in an airing cupboard or at some similar temperature... try the greenhouse if you have one (but watch out for spiders and insects getting in the earpieces... LOL)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 12:01pm
Thanks for the tip and info!
abjacobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abjacobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 6:28pm
Is there really a noticible difference if you've not burned in a preamp? If so, do you supply them already burnt in ;)

Edited by abjacobs - 16 Jun 2011 at 6:30pm
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 1:48am
Does anyone have any solid facts on cable burn in, is it in any way scientifically plausable or just pure bosh? I have recently changed the rca cables running from my amplifier tape loop to my Solo UL and since it hasn't fully burned in yet I can't really tell if any changes are completely due to the headphone amp burn in or if there is some hocus pocus going on in the cables as wll. Ermm
Also would any signal direction noted on cables matter at all since the current running through is AC?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

Does anyone have any solid facts on cable burn in, is it in any way scientifically plausable or just pure bosh? I have recently changed the rca cables running from my amplifier tape loop to my Solo UL and since it hasn't fully burned in yet I can't really tell if any changes are completely due to the headphone amp burn in or if there is some hocus pocus going on in the cables as wll. Ermm
Also would any signal direction noted on cables matter at all since the current running through is AC?
I would also be interested in the reply to this.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ellisdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellisdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 8:50am
no science, but I have found even if you havent used a cable for a while it takes a while to sound normal / its best again.

I use all Chord cables now and noticed it most with these.

some science would be extremely interesting
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic