FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
Author
Eric View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 6:27pm
How long will it take until a phono preamp gives best possible sound?
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 7:36pm
In my case the best possible sound took about forty years until I bought an Accession Wink. Then ~ three or four weeks until the PSU1 & the electronics had 'burnt-in' (permanently 'on').
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Eric View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 7:51pm
Oops!Three or four weeks? 

Do you also know about the speaker cables?
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 7:13am
'Burn in' on these things is pretty subtle IMO & if you have been loaned items, they may well have many hours on them already. I noticed an immediate difference when going from some well-reviewed & higher cost speaker cables to Spatia. I liked that change.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm
In my experience, both with the Reflex M and with the Proprius amps, it took several months of leaving them on and using them before I felt they had fully settled. With the first few weeks giving the most dramatic changes to the sound.
Also I have noticed that despite it being good to leave them on continuously, letting them rest a bit or just "restarting" them every once in a while during the burn-in period appears to have a positive effect. Or maybe just makes them more balanced for the moment after catching up a bit.
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Annie Lennox and me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Lennox and me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:27am

Being a seriously lazy person at heart, I leave all of the components in my system "always on". For this reason, although I don't have as much record-playing time as I would like these days, I have no reason to think that the Elevator EXP and CUSAT 50 cable, that I introduced in to my system about a year ago, are not completely burned-in by now - I am certainly delighted with the performance of both products (of course!).

However, I have come across a couple of items that, after reading the associated blurb, I would be interested to hear any comments anyone may have. The items are an RIAA filter (similar to one mentioned earlier in this thread) and a cable burn-in/conditioner:

http://www.bluehorizonideas.com/products/analogue-accessories/riaa-filter/

http://www.bluehorizonideas.com/products/system-enhancing-accessories/proburn/

I certainly have no wish to promote other manufacturer's goods on this forum, but wondered if these products would compliment and/or enhance the burn-in of an EXP/CUSAT50 (or any of the other products in the GSP range)? Or should I just pass straight to the expensive snake-oil section? Or even wait for such products to appear IN the GSP range?!

Apologies if this question has already been asked somewhere before.

Edited by Annie Lennox and me - 30 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
Paul

Elevator EXP, CuSat50, Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:04am
The idea is that you run-in the phono stage by passing mixed signal using a CD player or other line source which can be left on repeat. The amp/receiver can be turned down or used switched to another source whilst this process takes place. It can be left doing this for hours, days or weeks.

The problem is that the line source is far too high for the phono stage - it needs considerable attenuation - and it also needs to have the same or similar frequency response as what would come from a record being played with a magnetic cartridge.

A passive arrangement of resistors and capacitors is used to make an "anti-RIAA" filter giving the necessary attenuation and frequency response. I used to make these but found very few takers. Their reasoning was that the phono stage would eventually run-in anyway, and then they'd be left with something surplus to requirements. A reviewer could make more use of it but there aren't enough reviewers to make it a viable product.

The problem I have found is that it doesn't speed anything up at all. Most components require a DC voltage, including capacitors! And that's exactly what they get by the equipment being simply left on. Also, as all circuits make noise (as in S/N), and phono stages make the most because of their high gain, so there is an excitation signal if indeed it is required.

If the customer were more aware of how electronic components work I doubt items like these would ever sell. Here's a quote from: http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/39-05/Web_Ch7_final_J.pdf (as mentioned before)

"All resistors tend to change slightly in value with age. Manufacturers specify long-term stability in terms of change— ppm/year. Values of 50 or 75 ppm/year are not uncommon among metal film resistors. For critical applications, metal-film devices should be burned-in for at least one week at rated power. During burn-in, resistance values can shift by up to 100 or 200 ppm. Metal film resistors may need 4-5000 operational hours for full stabilization, especially if deprived of a burn-in period."

Edited by Graham Slee - 30 Oct 2017 at 10:09am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
  Share Topic