FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 4:06pm
Hi Wozdj, I plug my iPOD into an Onkyo NS-D1 digital dock (approx £130) and use my CD player's DAC. It may be worth trying that as the lossless/high bitrate music on your iPhone will sound much better than using the built in DAC and a cable. I suggest asking for a demo in a hifi shop.

As well as the Onkyo there is a new Cambridge Audio dock that seems to offers video out as well.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 12:14pm
How are you getting the music out of the iPhone? If via the headphone out you are amplifying the signal twice since the iPhone internal amp is in use. Doing so is not the best solution specially if you have the volume louder than 75% - 80%. A better method is a line out doc (LOD) which can be had for about $15, for example: http://www.ibasso.com/upimg/2008824205427.jpg

Of course you could go WILD and buy a Wadia or similar to extract the 0's and 1's out of the iPhone and send the signal to a dedicated external DAC which in turn would feed your amp. Yes it is a bit crazy but not all the way in that you could then get a dedicated linear and regulated PSU for the Wadia unit bringing the total price (sans iPhone nor the amp) upwards of $1,000 USD upwards (depending on the DAC). So go WILD and help the world economy! Wink
Miguel
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 9:44am
woz,
the amp will require a period of "burn-in" to reach maximum sound quality, but should not sound as you describe during that period.
Sometimes new cables can have some lubricant residue on the connectors (or even occasionally a protective film of some kind) this can hinder proper electrical connection and cause something like you describe.
If the problem continues you could try using some methylated spirit or an electrical contact cleaner product such as Caig De-oxit on all connectors.
Should the problem continue to be evident, try wriggling the connectors whilst continuing to play music and see if this has any effect.
With a quality amplifier like the Novo and reasonable phones any problems or lack of quality in the source material will be more noticeable, using ALAC or even Aiff should result in the best source material being available to your amplifier.
Let us know how you go with it.
wozdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 12:00am
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm using an iPhone. I've converted my files to apple lostless versions and things seem much better although I have not tested these over a extended playback. All my connections are tight and I will look into grounding the amp. I'm currently using the green power supply that comes with the amp.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 11:16pm
First I would make sure all your connections are tight, including your headphones. Next if you are using the SMPS wall wart PSU I would make sure you ground the amp using the post on the back. Play a track you know well to make sure the distortion is or is not coming from the tracks you were playing. If you have a 2nd cd-player use it to feed the amp to check if the original cd player is performing right or not.
Miguel
wozdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 9:33pm
I have been experiencing some distortion with tracks and after pausing the track for even a few short seconds the distortion disappears. My headphones are a few months old but have never been properly amped and my 3.5mm to phone cable and novo amp are brand fire new I was just wondering if it's the amp needing to burn in or whether it's low quality sound files or worse case knackered headphones. Obviously I'm not asking for a diagnosis but some simple advice on bedding in for amps headphones and cables.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 6:47pm
I used this trick for a phono preamp I had before I discovered GSP, on a preamp with dual supplies:
If you have an iPOD, turn the iPOD volume very low i.e. one bar and use the EQ to cut the bass. Then use a 3.5mm stereo to phono lead. Have a quick listen to check the preamp output isn't too distorted, if it is cut the middle and treble as well. Set it to play all songs and then  do something else for several days.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
  Share Topic